Shade 0 ~ Prologue

Once upon a time, on a peaceful evening, a little twelve-year-old girl was strolling towards her house with her mother by her side. It was mid of July and the little girl was on her school breaks. Every day she went to the park to play with her friends and her mother would pick her up in the evening.

The little girl kept squealing about a new friend she made at the park while her mother listened to her attentively with a smile on her face. They turned into their neighborhood street and were just a few houses away from their sweet home.

A voice called them out, interrupting the girl's story. They looked at the house from where the voice came and saw a lady waving her hand. She was a neighbor friend of the little girl's mother.

Her mother waved her back, and they greeted each other. The woman walked towards the footpath where the little girl and her mother stood and began talking about their next kitty party.

The little girl huffed and impatiently waited for her mother and the lady to finish their conversation, but she knew it would take a lot of time. She twisted her head towards her house and a grin took over her face when she saw a figure getting out of a car.

It was her big sister.

She glanced at the beautiful red rose in her hand that she picked from the park for her big sister. Lately, her big sister was feeling sad, and when she asked her the reason, she told her she wouldn't understand.

The little girl thought it might be because of her secret boyfriend. Her parents weren't aware that their older daughter was dating a guy, but the little sister knew. She once saw a guy sneaking into her room and questioned her sister. Her big sister told her he was her boyfriend who was older than her and also asked to keep it a secret, saying:

It's a secret between sisters.

The little girl was delighted when her older sister said that and she agreed with her. She always admired her older sister. In her eyes, she was the most beautiful and strong person in this world. They both care about each other, and their bond was unbreakable.

The little girl groaned when her mother and the neighbor lady wouldn't stop. She told her mother she saw her sister, and she was going home herself. Her mother nodded and watched as she dashed toward the house and looked away only when she entered.

The little girl was about to scream her sister's name but stopped when the thought of scaring her sister came. No one was home that day. Her father was at his job and her brother was at his summer camp.

Quietly giggling, she sneaked upstairs to her sister's room and grabbed the knob with her small hands. She cracked the door and saw her sister sitting on the bed with her back facing the girl.

A grin took over the girl's face, and she tip-toed into her room. She noticed her sister's shoulders shaking but paid no attention to it. She took a deep breath, filling her lungs, and was ready to scream, but halted when she heard a sob coming from her sister.

Is she crying?

The little girl thought as she exhaled. Her brows dipped in confusion when she heard a metal cling. She darted her gaze to her sister's hand when she shifted it and saw something black and shiny in her hand. Her jaw dropped open and her eyes widened in horror when she identified the gun. But what was her big sister doing with a gun?

The little girl has seen in a lot of movies what a gun is capable of doing.

Her sister whimpered, and with her shaky hand, she pressed the gun to her head. The little girl panicked and quickly opened her mouth to stop her.

"Riley what are you-"

BANG!

The little girl's whole body flinched in shock at the sound, and her ears rang. Her sister's body dropped on the floor with a thud and she froze in her spot, processing what had just happened.

The rose dropped from her hand as she stared at the room. The colorful curtains and the white dressing table had red splashes over them.

The little girl's eyes darted to her big sister's body which was pooled in blood.

"R-Riley?"

Her voice cracked as she took unsteady small steps toward her sister's body. Her body went stiff when she saw her sister's dull eyes looking at her. The last thing she heard was her mother shouting her name from downstairs before she lost consciousness.

 The last thing she heard was her mother shouting her name from downstairs before she lost consciousness