Shade 46 ~ Deathday

I could not believe myself.

I forgot my sister’s death anniversary. 

The day on which every year I go to the graveyard with my parents and I ask her every time why she took her life.

The only day my family talks about her at dinner. Reliving the memories and pretend she didn’t take her life while I silently sit and listen to them, ignoring the ache in my heart.

The day that twisted my whole life upside down.

The day because of which my world became gray.

I forgot about it.

“Left turn or right?” I whirled my head towards Hunter from the window and pointed. 

“Left. Fourth house.” He nodded his head.

Yesterday, after talking with my mother, I took my classes and was stunned at myself for even forgetting about it. I went to the nightclub and told Davis I wouldn’t be coming the next day.

I was so focused on the reason she died and forgot her deathday.

Today I skipped my classes and packed my bag with one pair of clothes in my duffle bag to stay the night. When I was sneaking out of the house in the afternoon thinking everyone would be out and no one would notice me. Hunter caught me. I made an excuse, but he didn’t let me go until I told him about Riley’s anniversary. He declared he’d come with me and I tried to stop him, but he didn’t listen.

Deep down, I was thankful for him.

So here we were. 

In my hometown, with Hunter driving my car towards my house. I glanced outside the window again and saw the familiar neighborhood. On this day eight years ago, I was coming from the park with my mother. It was an ordinary summer break, but it changed everything within a few seconds.

Hunter parked the car in the driveway of my house, and I got out of the car. I put the strap of the duffle bag over my shoulder and stared at my house. 

It only had been more than a month since I left this place, but it felt like ages. 

It was the same house I spent my whole life in, but I was nervous to step inside again. I swallowed hard and clutched the bag strap. Something touched my hand, and I jerked out of my thoughts to see Hunter. I didn’t even notice him standing beside me. 

He interlocked our hands and darted his warm gaze to mine. “Remember. I’m here for you.”

My heart thudded in my chest, and I looked into his eyes. This guy makes me feel so many emotions that I’ve lost count. He can easily get on my nerves and irritate me, but he also has a magical touch that makes me feel calm and secure.

With him by my side, I feel like I can conquer anything.

Taking a deep breath, I gave him an appreciative smile, and we walked towards the door. I pressed the doorbell and after a few seconds, the door opened.

“And the beast has arrived.” Matteo opened the door with a smile, but it faltered when he saw Hunter beside me. “What is he doing here?”

Shit! I should have thought this through before bringing Hunter here with me-

“It’s a pleasure to meet you again, Matteo.” Hunter extended his right hand towards him.

“Sorry about the reaction...” Matteo trailed off, shaking his hand. “I wasn’t expecting any guests today.” He said, eyeing our locked hands, then darted his knowing gaze at me.

“Are you going to let us in or not?” I arched my brow, daring him to say anything else.

“Come in. It’s your house.” He opened the door wide, and I stepped inside with Hunter.