Shade 36 ~ Mistake

I stared at the C plus on my economics assignment as I walked towards my car. It felt like the teacher took pity on me and made that minus a plus. Rolling my eyes, I folded the paper and stuffed it in my bag.

I didn’t care about my grades because I knew it was hard to keep them up with all the chaos going on in my life. I just needed to graduate, and a C was enough for me. It wasn’t like I was intending to run the country’s economy knowing how to calculate GDP, anyway.

Ignoring the scowling face Levi made with his friends when I passed him in the parking lot, I got in my car. I ignited the engine and was ready to drive out of my college towards the cafe, but halted when my phone blared.

I picked it out of my pocket, thinking it would be my mother ready to scold me for not calling her lately, but I frowned when I saw it was an unknown number.

I swiped the call icon and placed the phone on my ear. “Hello?”

“Bella?” I went still for a second, then I recalled the voice.

“Davis?”

“Yeah. Hope I’m not disturbing you.”

“Oh no, you’re not,” I answered, switching my car off. “How are you?”

“I’m good. What about you?”

“I’m great,” I replied and shifted in my seat anxiously. “Everything alright?”

“Yeah. I called you because I wanted to tell you about the job.”

“What about it?” I asked, crossing my fingers in hope.

“I talked to my supervisor about the opening last night and he didn’t agree to have a newbie.”

“Oh.” my shoulders slumped in disappointment.

“But when it got crowded last night because of the fourth of July and it was difficult to handle with just us...” He trailed off and I waited for him to finish. “He said he’ll give you a chance.”

“Oh my God, seriously?!” I squealed in excitement, not because I got the job but cause I’d be able to spy on Ryan. “Thank you so much, Davis! I owe you!”

“Don’t sweat.” He chuckled. “But before confirming, he’ll take a demo of you for a few weeks to see if you can handle it.”

“Done.” It wasn’t like I was aiming to make bartending my career. “When do I start?”

“Tonight and if you want, you can come early and I’ll teach you the basics before the club opens.”

“I’ll be there. Just give me the time.”

He told me to meet him in an hour. I agreed with him and hung up the call. I drove towards the cafe and resigned from there.

Terry was surprised why I was suddenly resigning. I lied to her, saying it was hard for me to keep up with my studies and job at the same time and how it was affecting my studies. To make it look realistic, I showed her my C in economics. I told her my grades were more important, and that I needed to concentrate on my studies to get them back up, which was all bullshit.

After that, I drove to Atlanta. There was still time to meet Davis, so I took a pit stop at a burger shop and ate my lunch.

When I reached the nightclub, it was deserted, with no soul around. I got out of my car and was about to call Davis, then saw him standing in the alley. He waved his hand as I walked towards him.

“You made it in time.” he grinned when I reached him.

“I told you I was desperate.” I shrugged.