Shade 1 ~ Welcome

Veering around the steering wheel, I drove into the quiet neighborhood and observed my surrounding. It was a small suburban area with gorgeous two-story houses and enormous lawns in front of everyone.

I glanced at the map on my phone for directions and followed it till I reached the two-story house. I parked my car on the sidewalk and looked at the house number plate on the picket fence. Checking it with the one on the ad, I nodded my head when it matched and got out of my car.

The decent neighborhood made me feel relieved, and I was glad I chose this one. Taking a deep breath, I walked behind my car and opened the trunk to take my suitcases out.

"You must be the new girl." My ears perked up at the voice and I looked up to see a guy leaning on his hand against the picket fence.

"You're Caroline?" I frowned and examined him.

My eyes dragged from his curly hair that fell over his forehead to his charming face and down his built body. He looked a few years older than me and his voice didn't sound like the one I talked to on the phone.

I was certain I got the right place, but if he faked the house ad and pretended to be a girl. I was ready to dash away.

"Do I look like a girl to you?" He chuckled and crossed his arms. My eyes went to his biceps that were popping out of his sleeveless shirt.

"Definitely not a girl," I said, glancing back at his face.

"Caroline told me we got a new housemate. When I saw you parking, I thought of coming out and helping you." He gestured towards the suitcases and stepped towards me.

"You don't need to-"

"Please, I insist." He gave me a sweet smile and took the suitcases. "I'm Colton, by the way."

"Isabella and thank you," I mumbled, closing the trunk, and began walking towards the house with him. "How many people live here exactly?"

"Caroline didn't tell you?" His brows dipped in confusion.

"She told me she had a few more mates and..." I eyed him. "She also skipped mentioning that her housemates included guys too."

"That's Caroline for you." He shook his head in amusement. "She forgets to bring up important details."

It wasn't entirely her fault. I was the one in a hurry to look for a new place.

Colton stopped at the main door and my eyes caught the sight of the porch swing hanging from the ceiling.

"After you." He opened the front door and motioned for me to go first.

My eyes roamed the interior as I entered the house. There was an open kitchen to my right with a dining table in the middle of it and to my left was a living room where I saw some people sitting on the couches.

"You're here!" A girl clasped her hands and rushed towards me with a toothy grin on her face. "How did you like the neighborhood? I told you it was nice, right?"

Now this sounds like the Caroline I talked to on the phone.

Right house and right girl.

"You told her about the neighborhood, but not the people she will live with." Colton snorted.

"I told her everyone is nice and friendly." She grinned and took me towards the couch. "I'm Caroline, but you can call me Callie. Isabella right?" I nodded my head. "Do you want me to call you Bella-"

"No." I quickly cut her off and shook my head. "Isabella is fine."

"Ok..." Caroline gestured towards the couple sitting on the couch. "This is Scarlett and Rio. Guys meet Isabella Harper. Our new housemate."