Shade 39 ~ Mask

The next day I woke up around three in the noon, recovering from my lack of sleep in the past few days. It was Saturday I had nothing to worry about my classes. But there was another thing that needed to be done.

I sat on my bed and picked up my phone from the side table. I opened my Google and searched for the number of the sheriff's department in my hometown.

When I found the number, I dialed it. The receptionist picked it up, and I asked her to transfer my call to Officer Johnson. The lady sheriff who was in charge of my sister's case. It has been seven years, and I prayed she was still on duty. She was in her early thirties so I knew she hadn't retired yet and I remembered her because she used to come a lot to my home.

I blew a breath of relief when my call got transferred. "Officer Johnson speaking, how can I help you?"

"Hi, Officer. I'm Isabella Harper. I don't know if you remember me, but I'm the younger sister of Riley Harper, the girl whose case you were in charge of seven years ago."

"Riley Harper..." She trailed off as if recalling, and I elaborated to jog her memory.

"The girl who committed suicide by shooting herself in the head with an illegal weapon and the case got close when the police couldn't find any evidence for years-"

"Yes, I remember Miss Harper." She cut off my blatant. "What can I do for you?"

"I wanted to ask a few things. I know the case has been off for years, but if you find something related to it, the case can be reopened. Right?"

"Yes." Now that got her interested. "Do you have something?"

"My sister killed herself because of a guy-"

"Miss Harper." She interrupted me. "If she suicide because of her heart broke-"

"Let me finish first. It's not just any guy." I took a deep breath and told her everything. "He's her boyfriend."

"Your parents never mentioned a boyfriend."

"They didn't know about him. Riley kept it hidden from them because he's older than her and she knew Mom and Dad would never approve of it." I hopped off my bed and paced my room.

"She should have listened to them."

"I know, but hear me out. His name is Ryan Freeman, and he recorded them while they used to have sex and upload them on a porn site. Riley found out about it and she killed herself with the gun she got from him. And it's not just my sister. Other girls got recorded without their consent and they still have no clue about it."

"Do you have any proof?"

"Can I have your number, sheriff? I'd like to send you a video."

She gave me her number and sent her the video I recorded of Ryan and Watson last night.

"As in the video, you can see they are dealing with weapons and I'm sure they are illegal. There is also a webpage of the porn site, which is now hacked, but I have the videos saved. You can reopen the case and arrest him-"

"This is not enough to arrest someone, Miss Harper."

"Why?" I halted in my steps.

"This video is blurry and you can't even see their faces or what is in the duffle bag."

"But I witnessed it. I can give testimony in the court-"

"Court just doesn't work on words, Miss Harper. Especially of a family member. It could be biased. We need solid proof."