Shade 34 ~ Flirting

My alarm buzzed in the morning and I got up, rubbing my eyes. Today I didn't wake early for my training with Hunter because I was still mad at him for what he did at the waterfall and last night.

I looked towards the floor where my brother was sleeping and my eyes widened when I saw it empty and the sheets nicely folded.

Shit! Where did he go?!

I jolted up from my bed and quickly washed my face in the bathroom of our floor, which was now working. When I reached downstairs, I saw Matteo laughing at something Caroline said and Colton was sitting next to him on the island with a poker face.

"Oh hey Isabella," Caroline said when I reached them.

"Morning Beastly." Matteo grinned.

"Morning." I narrowed my eyes at him. "You woke up pretty early."

"Yeah. I needed to leave for Florida." He glimpsed at Caroline. "But Callie insisted I should have breakfast first."

"Of course, I'm not letting our guest go empty stomach." Caroline beamed.

"I was worried about what type of people she is living with, and I'm a little relieved to know you have someone like Callie as your housemate." He smiled looking at Caroline. "I appreciate you taking care of her."

I couldn't help but scoff at that while Caroline passed him her sweet smile. "You're just being nice and Isabella is like a sister to me."

Matteo glanced at me, and I gave him a mocking smile. "I'm glad you approve of me living here."

"Have a seat." Caroline beamed. "I'm making pancakes."

"I'll help you." I walked toward the counter and helped make lots of pancakes for everyone.

I was busy flipping the pancake when Hunter entered the kitchen. I heard him greeting Matteo, and he returned it in a stern tone. The atmosphere suddenly became tense, and I didn't know if I was imagining it, but Hunter seemed a little nervous as he made his protein shake on the other side.

Maybe he feels guilty for what he did last night.

"Here are your pancakes," Caroline said, placing one plate in front of Matteo, who grinned in return, and the other in front of Colton, who hadn't said a single word. "We have homemade strawberry, maple, and vanilla butter syrup. Which one would you like to have?"

Colton rolled his eyes, grumbling something while Matteo thought of it. "I'd like to try vanilla butter."

"Alright." She grinned and asked me to get it since I was standing next to the refrigerator.

I opened it and peeked inside. "Where is it?"

"The bottle on the door side."

I saw three identical bottles with nothing written on it. "Which one?"

"The yellow one."

I tensed and stared at the three bottles that looked the same to me. I licked my dry lip and felt their stairs on my back as I stood in front of the fridge, frozen.

"Oh, I suddenly remember I'm on a sugar diet," Matteo said to cover me up. "I can't eat sweet things."

"Do you have diabetes?" Caroline asked in concern.

"No, it's just something I'm trying to prevent." Matteo let out a nervous laugh.

"Then one bite won't hurt," Caroline exclaimed. "It's mouthwatering, trust me."

I cursed my luck, as I was still trying to figure out which one of them was yellow.

"Excuse me." I flinched at Hunter's voice and moved from the fridge door. "I need the milk."