Shade 30 ~ Waterfall

Caroline was right. The place was magical.

I spun on my heels as I observed the enormous pine trees that covered the entire area. The forest was quiet with only the rustling of leaves when the fresh wind blew and the chirping of birds.

First, we set the tents since it was near dusk when we reached. Rio and Scarlett were sharing one and Hunter and Colton the other while Rachel, Caroline, and I got the last one.

I was glad Caroline was with us or else one of us would have been found dead in the morning.

After finishing the tent we hiked the cliff to see the sunset. I inhaled the fresh breeze and observed the beautiful surroundings. Even though everything looked gray in my vision, it was a peaceful sight. It felt like it had been an eternity since I went out somewhere calm.

My family used to go out a lot every summer, but things changed and we couldn't enjoy anything. Like we were only surviving our remaining days and not living anymore.

I sat with others as they enjoyed the setting sun and I painted the view with orange, yellow, and reddish color in my head.

"Do you think it's a good idea to swim in the dark?" I asked as everyone walked towards the waterfall. "I mean, we won't be able to see and anything can come out of nowhere and bite."

Everyone laughed at me, but I wasn't joking. After watching the sunset, everyone dressed in their swimsuits and we were on our way towards the waterfall.

"Relax Sunshine." Colton winked. "I'll save you."

"First, learn to save yourself." Caroline scoffed.

"Some people just don't appreciate what they have." He retorted.

"And some people don't know the meaning of giving others a break."

"And some people don't know who to trust."

"And some people act like assholes and make it hard for others to trust them."

"And some people-"

"Will you both quit it already?!" Everyone shouted, making them shut their mouths.

I shook my head at them and glanced ahead when I heard the loud gushing sound of water. My steps slowed down and my eyes widened in astonishment when the waterfall came into view.

The moonlight glittered the cascade of water smoothly falling into the plunge lake. The water roared against the rocks at the bottom and the air soaked with water filled my lungs with a mixture of nectar sweet scent of flowers.

Gorgeous.

I took my slippers off and stepped on the soft grass bed around the lake. I squeezed my feet and moist grass tickled my feet.

"Let's race." My head perked up at Rio's voice and saw the boys taking off their shirts. He pointed at the cliff from where the water was surging down into the pool. "Whoever reaches the cliff and jumps off first wins."