Chapter Eighteen

Carson's POV

"Rise, my son."

My eyes fluttered open to see the opulent and ethereal beauty of the Moon Goddess- Mom- standing over me with a look of content on her face. "How long was I out?" I yawned, standing up to stretch my legs.

"You were only asleep for a while," she said, "but in Earth time, you were out for two weeks, give or take a day. But it was long enough for you to renew your strength and prepare you for your imminent return."

I blinked at her, rubbing the sleep out of my eyes. "But what about Regan?" I asked.

She motioned for me to stand next to her as a good part of the ground beneath us revealed the souls of the damned- those who have committed heinous acts that resided in there. Their screams of agonizing pain from the uncaring fires were mingled by the dark waves of laughter of the hellhounds that ruled the realm. "He is there," she intoned.

"Whoa," I breathed, my eyes now locked on the boy who shattered my heart and set everything into motion. His tears were endlessly flowing as two hellhounds were beating him with silver-laced whips. "Carson!" he cried. "Carson, I'm sorry!"

I knew that he was. I knew that after all this time, he was finally seeing the light. Even so, it was too little, too late. "Mom, can I sing something to him- a song of farewell?" I asked her. "I know that he's forever damned, but I need to finally get some closure before I-"

She smiled softly. "But of course," she said. "Do you know the song?"

I nodded, already hearing the familiar melody in the wind. "Yes," I replied.

Looking down at Carson below, I took a deep breath to calm my nerves and let the first bars of the music played by the nymphs help me begin my song of goodbye.

(A/N: Play the song: "Love in the Dark" by Adele)

Take your eyes off of me so I can leave

I'm far too ashamed to do it with you watching me

This is never ending, we have been here before

But I can't stay this time cause I don't love you anymore

Please stay where you are

Don't come any closer

Don't try to change my mind

I'm being cruel to be kind

I can't love you in the dark

It feels like we're oceans apart

There is so much space between us

Maybe we're already defeated

Ah-yeah-yeah-yeah-yeah-yeah-yeah everything changed me

You have given me something that I can't live without

You mustn't underestimate that when you are in doubt