Chapter Forty-Nine

"All right, Carson," Eurydice said after I finished swimming laps in the outdoor pool to cool off from a morning of ultimate workouts and practicing my shifting speeds. "it looks like you're going to be ready for the wedding any day now."

"You got that right," I breathed, heaving myself out of the pool and drying myself off. "I needed this swim since this summer heat here in Denver isn't playing around."

"It's not that hot out," Topaz replied. "I mean, it's only eighty-five degrees outside and the humidity's not that bad as it is in the Deep South."

"Yeah, but I sweat easily, granted the fact that part of my past included spending hot summers in the basement back at the Four Aces," I replied, motioning for the two phoenixes to follow me back to my room. "And I wasn't permitted to come up back when Keith was a douchebag. If it weren't for Harvey and Delia supplying me with box fans, I might've passed out from heatstroke."

"Ouch," Eurydice winced. "Thank the Goddess above you had the good sense to get out of there after being rejected by that swine."

"Guys, the past is in the past," Topaz pointed out. "And we're living in the now, so let's embrace the gift of the present. Anyway, we're still finalizing the plans for the wedding/coronation ceremony. And Carson, you can bet your bottom dollar that my cousin and I are making sure that everything is set in stone."

"About that," I said as I got out some jogging pants and a Colorado Rockies T-shirt before heading to the bathroom to change. "How come I have little say in what's going to happen?"

"Because Ciara, Fianna, and Bianca made us swear to secrecy," Eurydice hollered. "They said that you are to be left in the dark while you focus on your training and lessons. Mrs. Albritton even threatened us a couple of times. But don't worry. The two weeks before the festivities are when we'll tell you everything."

I stepped out of the bathroom fully dressed. "Well, just as long as y'all don't go over the top," I said finally. "But then again, you all are going over the top since I'm a Royal-to-be, aren't you."

"O-P-U-L-E-N-C-E. Opulence," Topaz drawled, snapping his fingers as he spelled the word. "You own everything. Everything is yours, child."

I just smiled. "Can't win them all."

Eurydice stood up. "Topaz and I gotta split. Our mates just texted me and we have to meet with a few jewelers and florists," he explained. "And Lailani's set to keep you company as soon as she leaves the salon where she works. Fair warning, her coworkers are joining you and they got more gifts to pile on you- one of them being the sleekest baby strollers around as well as some books for the baby."

"Duly noted," I assured them. "Y'all go on. I'll be fine for now. But I will need to go to the pharmacy and pick up some vitamins and a few hygiene products."

"Are you sure that's a good idea?" Topaz asked me. "Ryan's still out for your blood and-"

"I'll have my guards with me," I assured both phoenixes. "You two need to split. I don't want Madam Albritton to off y'all."

"Right," Eurydice said. "Just be careful and stay on point, Carson. If it can't be helped, take a gun with you."

I nodded, watching both of my friends leave before I began to clean up my bedroom and got ready for my trip downtown.

Fifteen minutes later, I was escorted by a couple of guards while getting out of my sleek black BMW sedan before heading inside Walgreens. I was able to fill my basket with shampoo/conditioner, somebody washes that my mates used, lotion, and a couple of granola bars before picking up my prenatal vitamins and making small talk with some of the customers and workers. Cooed at a were-dragon couple's young son. Had a few words with the on-duty police officer.