Chapter Thirty-Two

Carson's POV

I screamed just as the clock struck twelve, stunning all of the guests and servants as my body was on fire. "It hurts," I bellowed, my muscles beginning to feel like they were on fire.

"What the hell?!" Fianna exclaimed as she and Bianca came to my side while the Moon Goddess was in front of me. "Wait, is it time that-"

"It is," Mom intoned, running her fingers through my hair before spiriting me outside to the backyard. "My son, it is time for your shifts. Relax."

I moaned just as I felt my bones starting to crack and pop, my body going into overdrive. "Mom... don't leave," I whimpered.

"I won't. Take deep breaths and close your eyes. Let my light from the moon calm you, Carson."

I shut my eyes and slowly took deep breaths, shuddering as the transformation soon began to drown me into darkness. The last thing I heard was a cry of excitement from Eurydice before everything went dark...

"Carson?"

I snapped open my eyes to find that I was still in the backyard, but I looked down to see my hands and feet being replaced by wolf paws. "Hello?" I said, looking around to see all of my friends and family smiling down at me.

"Carson, it's me- your wolf. My name is Anais, your wolf side," the voice- now sounding like it was from my head- replied in a Greek accent. "And I'm here to guide you through your first time."

"It's nice to meet you, Anais," I replied. "Where are my clothes?"

"Oh, they vanished into your fur," he replied. "Yeah, a wolf can easily shift without losing or tearing one's clothes. Same as for the angels, demons, and werecats. Can't say much for dragons, hellhounds, or the merman- though the merman and mermaids can easily take off their clothes before going into the water."

"That makes sense. So, what now?"

Anais chuckled. "We run," he said.

He didn't have to tell me twice. I lunged into a sprint, letting the moonlight and the howling wind caress my fur while taking into the sights and sounds of nature. "Hey, Anais? What's the color of my fur?"

"It's all white, with a hint of all the colors of the rainbow," he replied before we took a break by an oak tree. "And this is where you'll shift into your werecat- a cougar."

Then came another voice. "Hola, Carson. My name's Neo, your werecat," he said in a Portuguese accent. "And while you can shift into any cat you can think of, the cougar is your main form."

At the last sentence, I instantly shifted into a large cougar with fur the color of cream. And unlike my wolf (which was as large as a minivan), my cougar was slender like a roadster. "Nice to meet you, Neo. Shall we run?"

"Yes, let's," Neo said as I roared out into the night before continuing my run. It turns out that Neo was as twice as fast as Anais and he was talented in stealth. Note the fact that we hunted and killed our first deer before we stopped at a nearby clearing.

I felt myself turning back into a human, but my skin was now a light caramel color and my closely-cropped hair was now a dirty blonde. I turned to a nearby brook and saw that my eyes were glowing red and I had fangs.

"Vampire," I deduced, looking down to see that I was still wearing my tuxedo.

"Correct," I heard a Slavic voice. "I'm your vampire half known as Nikolai. And this is where you and I need to catch our breath while taking in the sounds of the night, Carson."