Chapter Twenty-Nine

Carson's POV

I smoothed the invisible wrinkles away from my latest custom-made tuxedo (a midnight-blue Armani) as I faced the mirror with a renewed confidence. After the much-needed pep talk from Cora Mae and Yesenia, I decided that the scars of the past were not going to dictate how I was going to celebrate my future birthdays. And so, I decided to enjoy whatever my family and friends were going to surprise me with.

But it was frustrating not being able to know what the surprises were going to be as far as the celebrations were concerned. I knew that it was going to be a masquerade ball (I was given a Venetian-themed mask that was covered in real tiny jewels to match my tux). And as much as I wanted to tour the place, a few of the royal guards made sure that I didn't leave my bedroom- though they were very friendly and cool about it.

So I did all that I could to keep myself busy- took a little nap, read several fashion magazines, practiced several exercise techniques, and even enjoyed another languid bubble bath. And in between each hobby, the gifts kept coming in like I had won the lottery, the Grammys, the Emmys, the Oscars, and the Tonys all in one night. Almost all of them came from the Elite Eight and their packs themselves with Gavin topping the lot with a brownstone mansion that wrapped up one block of downtown Boston.

That is until Alain came along and gave me my own luxury car dealership alongside a fleet of Maybachs for my own use. And then Arianna and her cheerleading squad came along and decided to buy out the entire shops of Beverly Hills (though they failed to top the guys as much as they tried to).

All in all, I was definitely going to have an opulent lifestyle.

And right now, I was enjoying the company of Fianna (now dressed in a stylish Reem Acra gown of purple), Eurydice(in a red tuxedo- Givenchy, and the Albritton clan (in matching emerald-green Monique Llilier) while enjoying some light crudites that Yesenia brought up.

"O-P-U-L-E-N-C-E. Opulence. You own everything, Carson," Eurydice crowed as he polished off the last of his tea sandwich and looking me over with approval in his eyes. "Everything is yours, child."

"I'll say," Bianca drawled. "I still think that the Ferrari my family and I gifted him was better."

"You wish," Fianna snorted. "My bae totally wanted to make sure that Carson had another summer mansion built in Marseilles. And it only took him this past week for him and his pack to finish."

"Well, we all can agree that none of my fellow hunter matriarchs can deny the fact that Carson's mates and fathers  made sure that we were outsmarted by their gifts," Mrs. Albritton said. "Even Arianna and her cheerleading buddies couldn't top Alain's present. A fleet of Maybach sedans and SUVs? Wow. Just wow."

"Well, I plan to share some of my goodies," I commented finally. "You know that I didn't have it easy and I don't want to be a total brat. If anything, my past taught me to never forget where I came from and that I should be able to share my blessings with others."

Eurydice's eyes went wide. "Hold up, chile. Are you saying that-"

I nodded. "I'm passing some of the goodies along with everyone starting with y'all in here," I replied, cutting him off. "You guys can have your pick of any of the Maybach cars and SUVs."

"Hell yeah!" everyone cheered just as a bright light filled the room alongside a cloud of purple smoke.

"Moon Goddess," Fianna breathed as she and the rest of us dropped into a bow before facing the mystery woman from before. "And I take it that's Carson's first of two protectors."

"Indeed she is," my Mother said. "And it's time that my son met her- my child meeting his heavenly aunt."

The mystery woman removed her jeweled-covered mask and hooded cape, revealing a stunningly dressed woman with skin the color of milk-laced coffee and eyes the color of rose-tinted gold. But the most shocking thing about her was that she had her long gold hair interwoven with gold cobras. "Carson, my name is Medusa Euryale St. Matthews, your Aunt, and sworn protector," she greeted, her voice laced in a Greek accent. "It's a pleasure to finally meet you at last. You look so much like your mother."

"Wow," Arianna exclaimed, her mouth dropping briefly before closing. "I never met a Gorgon before."

"I am a Gorgon/witch hybrid," Medusa corrected, "but I too am a goddess. My real name is Enya, the Goddess of Life and the Saint of all Gorgons and hunters."

"Well, pigeon livers! My parents are not going to believe this," Eurydice said. "You learn something new each day."

"Guys, there's got to be more than my Aunt and Mom coming to wish me a happy birthday," I commented. "They know something is up, right?"

Both Goddesses nodded, their faces turning serious. "Carson, your threat will soon arrive at the party, and he is going to make sure that he will make himself known to all," Mom said. "And it's time that I tell you his name."

"Oh, wow," Mrs. Albritton said, grabbing her phone. "Who is it so I can let my hunters know?"

Mom took a deep breath. "It's someone very close to the late Regan Zallenda, the boy who shattered Carson's heart. It turns out that Regan wasn't a Zallenda by blood but by name only," she intoned. "And while he was born a human who was bitten as a babe, his twin brother was born an Alpha wolf. The new threat who seeks to win Carson's heart is known as Ryan Zallenda, the Alpha of the Dark Moon Pack. And he will be here tonight, though he will hide in the shadows."

"Oh, hell no!" Fianna exclaimed. "The Dark Moon Pack from Colorado Springs? My man met one of the Betas and he didn't trust them one bit. He warned me to stay away from them at all costs."

"And with good reason," Aunt Medusa intoned. "His pack is full of vengeful Alphas and rogues caught up in dark magic and they will recognize Carson as their Luna once Ryan has him in his hands."

To me, "Carson, you will need to prepare yourself for whatever Ryan plans for you. And soon, you will be shifting into your many forms at midnight tonight as well as meet your ninth and final mate- the second heavenly protector who was with your Mother and me at the dawn of creation. And he will soon be at the party as well."

"Will we meet him?" Eurydice wanted to know.

"All will be clear by tomorrow," Mom promised us, "but now it's time to make sure that we keep sharp and our eyes peeled for trouble, yes? And remember to trust in my plan as well as each other and yourselves. Ryan Zallenda will indeed fall, but we'll need to play our roles well. Understood?"

"Understood," the rest of us agreed with seriousness in our eyes and souls.

"Good," Aunt Medusa purred. "And now, the time has come for us to make our way to the ballroom as we'll make ourselves known to the guests. And Carson?"

"Yes?"

The Gorgon/witch hybrid smiled warmly. "Happy birthday."

I smiled back. "Thank you," I replied.

"All right, all right." Eurydice snapped his fingers. "Let's head on out to the ballroom and begin to make our rounds. Topaz is broadcasting the party tonight and EVERYONE is waiting for us. Let's move!"

He didn't have to tell us twice. We began to fix ourselves up as maids came in and hurriedly cleared the mess away before we left my bedroom. It was time to party.

And as for Ryan Zallenda? He was never going to be mine. Not if my mates could help it.

It's time to PARTY heard, friends! And despite the newest threat (Ryan Zallenda, Regan's long-lost twin brother) in the midst, you can believe that this is a celebration for Carson's life on Earth. And as it was said before, birthdays are meant for celebrating, not mourning! The party begins in the next chapter, so don't go away!

Dedication: KellyBlack_20

Vote.
Comment.
Share.
Follow.
Add.
FAN!