Chapter Thirty-Three

And I was right on the money.

After the night of my many-first transformations and meeting Anis as my ninth and FINAL mate (and my heavenly protector), the rest of my birthday week went by in a whirlwind of mid-afternoon luncheons, visits to various packs and covens in the area (I swear to y'all that there is a pack made of were-coyotes that immediately went into fan mode when I introduced myself before being gifted a collection of rare bestiary books), evening balls and parties, and small gatherings. And when I wasn't working the rooms with Eurydice and Topaz at my side, the training sessions intensified as my mates and friends made sure that took advantage of my supernatural sides with combat training and private hunts.

And speaking of my halves, I got to know each of them intimately as I shifted into each person. Anais (a well-built light-skinned teen when in human form) was very sweet. Neo (a K-pop clone with the whitest of hair) loved to dance ballet. Nikolai and Francois were avid soccer players as well as good chess players alongside Seraphiel (unlike Apollyon, who just liked to exercise and fight as Viktor did). As for Gareth and Cairo? Well, you can say that I already knew that they were a comedy duo with their contrasting personalities (Gareth liked solitude and meditation while Cairo was a loud-mouth phoenix who liked to have a good time while getting his hands dirty).

And Hyperion (my demigod side who was an exact clone of Anis) was my current form while I enjoyed breakfast with the Napier-Zeller-Morgan clan and the Albritton clan. "I still can't believe the fact that I'm looking at the exact clone of a demigod," Arianna said in disbelief as she polished off her Danish. "My friends went bat-sugar crazy when they saw the transformation Monday night and my coach fainted right on the spot when I showed her the video."

I shrugged. "Sounds to me like everyone is still taking this all in," I commented, myself still surprised at how I sounded like Anis- smooth and molten-gold yet powerful and domineering. "I'm still learning more about myself in many ways. The training sessions and learning about the royal family line defintiely helps."

"I heard all about that," Fianna replied, her mate nodding in assent. "Didn't Iain and Archer say that you have relatives across the Northwest?"

I nodded. "And surprisingly, they all look like they're in their thirties and twenties," I replied, pausing to take a sip of orange juice. "The youngest in my family is my great-aunt Lia who's only 132, yet she looks like a high-school freshman. We're that immortal."

"So unfair," Marianne replied as she mock-frowned. "Child, some folks and packs get all the luck nowadays. But I'm not one to hate and neither would Gia or Lucas. Hell, I bet that they're smiling down in heaven right now and bragging to the rest in heaven."

I hugged the older woman. "No doubt about it," I said to her. "Gia sends her love and Lucas says to hug his 'Grammy.' This is from him."

The rest of them smiled, Fianna and Mrs. Albritton fighting their tears. "This is so sweet," the latter replied as Iain, Archer, and Anis came into the room. "Good morning, gentlemen."

"Morning one and all," Iain replied, turning his attention to me. "Carson, can we have a few minutes to talk with you about something of importance?"

"Sure," I said. To everyone else, "I won't be long."

"We know," Bianca replied. "And make sure to eat well because you got hand-to-hand combat practice with Colin and Clayton before heading to the Red Fire vampire coven for a business meeting with Dominic and Topaz."

I followed the three men to an empty conference room where a lone butler was setting down a coffee service with more pastries and fruit. "So, what's up?" I said after we all served ourselves.

Archer cleared his throat. "As you already know, you're the next in line for the throne as the Moon Wolf and to rule alongside our Mother," he began. "In the past several days since learning about Ryan and his plans to make you his, we've been making sure that you protect yourself when we can't be around."

I nodded.

"And, you also have powers as well," Iain continued, pausing to bite into a donut and eating before he continued. "Can you list at least four of the many ones that you have?"

"Teleportation, solar and lunar manipulation, healing powers, telekinesis, telepathy, and maybe cryokinesis," I listed.

"Correct," Anis said, giving me a nod of approval. "But, you only have marginal levels of power in each category. They were initially unlocked when you shifted on Monday night. And while you can use them to an extent, we'll need you to unlock your full potential if we want to make sure that we take down any and every threat that comes our way."

And that moment, a puff of blue smoke came out of nowhere as a  light-skinned young man with a lithe build with cropped blue hair that matched his eyes and wardrobe (tight pants and a vest trimmed in gold) emerged. "Ah, the young Moon Wolf is finally alive and well," he said. "My name is Thebes, Young Grace. I am a djinn as well as the son of Hermes the messenger of the gods and the messenger of the Moon Goddess Herself. It's an honor to meet you."

I shook his hand. "Nice to meet you," I said. "And I take it that you know the way to get me to unlock my powers?"

He nodded. "It's very simple, my Prince of the Night," he drawled happily. "And it involves the Elite Eight and the Sun God that is also your mates. In a word, you need to have sex."

Wait, what?"

Iain and Archer looked flushed with embarrassment, looking anywhere but at my eyes.

Anis fought to hold his laughter.

Thebes noticed my look of mortification. "Ah, I see that you are still chaste and not ready yet," he said. "I apologize, Your Grace, but it's true. For you to unleash the full powers that your Mother blessed you with, you will need to fully mate with all nine of the sex gods that are lucky to be yours. But take heart as She and the other Gods and Goddess know of your story and how you were denied romance by that dummy known as Regan Zallenda, may he be roasting his nuts in Hades by now."

Anis frowned at the name. "Don't say his name," he spat lowly.

"But of course," Thebes went on, turning his attention to the other men in the room. "I have already told the Elite Eight this, but I needed to see Carson and you three since I know that the dodo bird's twin brother is waiting to take what's not his. Like Regan, Ryan is a Zallenda by name only while Lady Ciara is one by blood and name. Carson will need all of you and his friends to prepare for what is inevitable."

To me, "Carson, Ryan is one dimwitted turkey who doesn't take the word 'no' for an answer and can do anything and everything to claim you. And with your heat coming up, it's important as ever to be by your mates' sides as soon as it arrives. And it WILL arrive with a vengeance."

Yikes.

"Breathe, love," Gareth's voice rang in my head. "Take a deep breath and relax."

Thank you, Gareth, I silently replied as I inhaled and exhaled deeply. "So, what will I need to do to prepare, Thebes?"

The djinn smiled widely. "You're already are doing it now, Your Majesty," he said. "Train like a warrior, learn of your heritage like a scholar, and live freely. Trust in Her plans for your life. Trust in your family and friends. But most of all, trust yourself. Know that you will emerge as a victor, but remember that he will capture you when you are vulnerable."

"Thank you, Thebes," I said.

"I must take my leave, but I and the other members of the blue djinn and the indigo djinn will be watching over you through nature," he replied, bowing low before he disappeared in the cloud of smoke.

"Carson, are you sure that you'll be ready to mate soon?" Anis asked me. "We can wait when you say the-"

I cut him off. "He said that my heat will come whether I am ready or not," I replied. "And I will need all the time I can get to make sure that I am ready."

The door swung open to find Ciara and her mother. "I needed to find you," the former said. "Colin and Clayton are waiting for you outside in the workout room. What's going on?"

I recapped both women on what was discussed, even mentioning my inevitable heat and mating session. "Ciara, I'm going to need you and the other ladies' expertise on how to prepare for my mating with the Nine," I finished. "And I know that you're an Alpha Female, but-"

Ciara smiled widely, her eyes wide as saucers. "Say no more," she cheered. "I'm letting Bianca and the others know while you train, Carson. You just do your training and royal lessons. Got it?"

I nodded as I stood up to leave. "And I better head on to the fitness room. Colin and Clayton are teaching me capoeira and Krav Maga. And I got to visit more packs afterward plus another ball tonight. By the end of the visits, I'll need a nap."

"I'll remind you to rest," Anis assured me. "Now, you head on and I'll see you later."

I nodded as I let Mrs. Zallenda lead me to the waiting hunters. My mind was full of ideas for me to prepare for my inevitable heat. I never know what it was like, but I heard that it was painful and that the unmated that were experienced it themselves said that they needed to be kept away from the unmated males until it was time for one to bond with their chosen. And some even said that it was as painful as the first shift.

And if that was true, I was going to need all of my inner strength and self-control to keep me from being rash.

Well, folks, it's officially time to place your bets on how the mating games will go for Carson! And I'm going to only say that you'll need to be a little patient until act three because it's going to be when things start to get more exciting!

But first, we need to get through the rest of act two. And unfortunately, we'll hear from Ryan Zallenda in the next chapter as he's getting restless for some loving! Stick around!

Dedication: Ablazeisaleo.

Vote.
Comment.
Share.
Follow.
Add.
FAN!