Chapter Twenty-Six

I had enjoyed my last restful night in the guest room of the Four Aces Pack mansion, and all too soon it was time to leave for my new home. I was sitting in the den with Harvey, Delia, and a heavily pregnant Miles as I enjoyed a cup of tea. "Are you nervous?" Delia asked me. "You haven't eaten a single thing this morning other than some fruit."

"A little," I confessed. "I mean, other than the time I was banished I never really ventured out of this pack of my own volition. I wanted to after all the time I was locked away in the basement, but I knew that I would be signing my death warrant if I dared to escape. I guess you could say that I knew of my place very quickly- to remain in the shadows and not be seen."

"But you do admit that there was a time that you needed to separate yourself," Harvey commented, ushering me to eat one of the pastries that Mama Abby Mae left for us. "And the time you were in the Dark Dahlia coven could be seen as a test run, right?"

I thought for a moment. "True," I said. "Anyway, while I know that I can come back for a visit I need to own up to my greatness and allow myself to venture into my new home that I'll share with Iain and Archer. And besides, a permanent change of scenery is way overdue for me."

"Amen to that," Miles said before he instantly shifted into his gray-wolf Osirus. It looks like it's his wolf's turn to carry the pup in his womb.

And just in time because Ciara, dressed in executive realness, came to her mate and rubbed his fur. "Looks like my husband is due to give birth at any day now," she expressed. "My daughter is going to be so loved here."

"I can tell," I commented. "So, where are the other guys?"

Ciara's eyes lit up in surprise. "Oh, I almost forgot. Iain and Archer told me to tell you that you're going to be escorted there since those two are already there waiting for you," she explained. "My Betas are going to take you."

I rolled my eyes playfully. "Well, at least I can have a few minutes to reflect and get myself hyped up for what I'll expect at my new home," I replied. "And I take it that it's going to be a mansion?"

"Even better, Carson. It's a real-life chateau/castle known as the Palace of the Wolves," Harvey replied. "Delia and I got a good look at the place and your own part of the castle. And all I can say is that you'll be living like you are a true Royal."

Miles barked twice as if to agree.

"I'll bet," I replied. "Well, I just want to thank y'all so much for everything- letting me stay here for most of my life before the exile and the car crash, the weekend celebrations, and just being good friends in all. You guys really made me feel at home when I thought that I didn't belong in the first place."

"No, Carson. Thank you for coming back from the coma and accepting your real destiny," Ciara said. "My late brother, may his carcass burn in hell, was a big-ass idiot for breaking your heart and not giving you a chance. And he never really saw the future greatness in you. Now, he's gone and missing out on seeing you thrive. And you can bet your bottom dollar that you can count on us to make sure that you're safe from the new threat."

I nodded as we saw two female Betas walk into the room. "I take it that you two are going to give me the full-escort to my new home?" I asked one of them which I recognized as Gabriella, one of the guards who kept out the unwanted company while I was at UC Hospital.

Gabriella nodded eagerly, her ringlet curls bouncing up and down. "We're ready when you give the word," she commented. "We can even stop for a brief lunch if you like."

I looked at the Zallenda family, all of them giving me looks of support as Miles the wolf purred. A part of me wanted to stay a little bit longer, but I knew that the time was now to begin a new chapter in my life. And like I said, a change of scenery was long overdue. "Let's ride," I said. "And let's hold off on the lunch until we arrive. No doubt that there's something prepared for me at my home already."

And with that, I said my final farewells to the Four Aces pack and headed outside to the main entrance where a white limousine accompanied by female guards on motorcycles was waiting for me. I stepped inside the limo and accepted a glass of champagne from another female Beta while Gabriella got inside. "Driver," I hollered upfront, "let's head to my new home."

He didn't need to be told twice. He gave a thumbs-up to the motorcycle riders up at the front and we began to make the journey. I took one more look at the sprawling mansion and waved a slow goodbye.

And just like that, a new chapter was about to begin.

*********

The Palace of the Wolves was located in a secluded part of the rich part of Denver, hidden away by an acre of trees, and was heavily secured by numerous guards that greeted me and my entourage upon arrival. Designed to be similar to the Chateau of Versailles but with a more modern and opulent feel, it boasted three stories and numerous bedrooms for guests. The eastern wing was meant for Iain and Archer while the western wing was for myself and my mates. The central part of the palace was kept for guests and servants.

And the amenities- wow.

Three indoor pools, five outdoor swimming pools (all Olympic-sized infinity pools), five entertainment and game rooms, several small parlors with stereo systems or pianos for smaller parties, a giant backyard, and five guesthouses for the backyard celebrations.

And do you remember the cars that Fianna mentioned I was gifted with?

Well, FIVE large garages held the fifty cars I was gifted: five Bentleys, four Jaguars (two coupes, one sedan, one roadster), several Porsches, Five Lamborghinis (one of them being from Bianca and her hunting dynasty in a shade of red), three Corvettes, two Aston Martins (one from Clayton), a Maserati, and more.

And as soon as I stepped inside of my new home, I was instantly greeted by Iain, Archer, the maids and servants who kept the palace in excellent condition (one of them being a dead ringer for Mama Cathy Sue- it turns out they were twins, go figure), my eight mates and their parents and Betas, Eurydice and Topaz alongside their parents and mates, and even the Zallendas (they decided to surprise me as well); I knew that I was home.

It had taken me only an hour to settle into my large bedroom (that was decorated thanks to the phoenixes) and do a bit of arranging of my own (you could say that I was nesting). Finally, I was lying down on the California King Bed to take in the newness of my home.

I could admit one thing- I was definitely living it up like royalty. But I wasn't the one to put on any airs.

There was a knock at the door, interrupting my meditation. "Enter," I said.

In stepped a gleeful Bianca alongside her hunting friends, Eurydice, Topaz, and a statuesque woman who was an older version of the huntress (who I deduced was her mother) who was with Arianna (now dressed in a flowy sundress). "Here," Bianca said, handing me a small box.

I opened it up to find another car key. "A Ferrari?" I said. "Girl, I already have enough cars to start a private taxi service."

"I know, but I figured that the Ferrari would be special given the fact that we're celebrating you moving in," Mrs. Albritton replied. "And fair warning, a few of the hunting matriarchs are making plans to top me."

I believed it, given the fact that the Gutierrez Dynasty's leading matriarch had sent me an emerald-cut diamond as large as an ostrich's egg.

"And, there's another reason to celebrate," Colin piped up. "Guess what today is?"

I thought for a moment. "Bastille Day?"

"No, silly goose. It's July 12th. And we're celebrating you all this week with parties galore, starting tonight," Eurydice piped up.

July 12th?

Oh. No.

"That's right!" cheered my fathers as they and the Elite Eight walked into the room with more gifts in hand. "Happy nineteenth birthday!"

Why does Carson feel lke his birthday is a disaster? You'll know the full tea in the next chapter as two maids have some words of wisdom for him and for us who feel like birthdays are the worst days of our life.

Vote.
Comment.
Share.
Follow.
Add.
FAN!