5: Alone

Stiles POV

I wake up hours later, noticing that it has gotten really dark outside. It looks like the middle of the night. Everyone else has gone to bed and decided not to disturb me, which I appreciate. I get up slowly and walk down the hall to my bedroom. I'm not tired anymore though. As I sit down on my bed, someone knocks on the door and enters. It's Dad. "Stiles, I'm glad to see that you're awake. I need to talk to you down on the beach." He says. I look at my father questioningly, but agree to go anyway. Together, we walk down to the beach and further away from the house. We reach the cave on the beach. We enter and sit down on the small boulders inside the cave. I watch the water crash up against the rocky ledge. Hopefully we don't get splashed. "What's going on?" I ask Dad worriedly. He sighs before answering.

"You know how important Atlantia is to us, don't you?" Dad asks. I nod, starting to feel nervous.

"Well, no one is there to protect it right now. It will always be our home, no matter how long we haven't been there. I can't just stand here and do nothing. I've done that for far too long. I'm the King. I need to do what is right." Dad explains. "What... What does that mean?" I ask, fear rising up inside of me.

"It means I'm going back to Atlantia. I'm going to defend the kingdom from Vanessa and her monstrous army. We'll defeat them. It'll take some time, but Atlantia will be completely safe from harm again. Then you'll be able to return home after all these years. I'm sincerely sorry that I've made you put up with living on land for so long." Dad says in an apologetic tone.

"Wait, that sounds like you're not taking me with you this time." I comment, feeling icy fear course through me.

"I'm not taking you with me. It's too dangerous. You're not even of age yet." Dad replies.

"But I almost am! Dad, you still need to teach me about our powers! I don't know them yet!" I exclaim in a panic. I can see how much he's hurting by hearing me sound so desperate. "Deaton knows enough about our magic to teach you. Trust me, you'll learn fine. Besides, I'll come back up here every Saturday, so you'll still get to see me." My dad assures me. "But... I can't live on my own! The bills, the mortgage! Also, what about your job?" I attempt to convince my dad to stay. "Deaton is kindly taking care of those things. As for my job, they've given me some time off anyway. If I'm off more than they expect, Deaton will help out again." Dad responds.

"Why is Deaton the answer to everything I ask? What if I don't want to live on my own yet? What if something happens and no one is around?" I ask desperately, my voice rising.

"If you really want to, you can organise to stay with someone else. Like Scott. But remember if you lived with him, he'd probably find out about you." He advises. My heartbeat rises fast. I feel like I'm about to cry.

"Please... I can't lose both my parents in one day." I beg in a whisper. Dad grasps my hand tightly.

"I promise that you aren't losing me. Stiles, as the Prince of Atlantia, you know this has to be done. For your people. You know that." He says gently. I close my eyes for a moment. I know that my father is right. But I hate it. Why does my family have to have such a heavy weight on our shoulders? Why do I let my parents go into war? I really hate it. "I know you're right... But I can't lose you too. I love you so much. You need to come back. Promise me you'll come back." I beg loudly this time, eyes watery with tears. Dad squeezes my hands tighter. "I promise from the bottom of my heart that I will come back. I'll never leave you, Stiles." He promises me. We then both jump down from the small boulders and onto the rocky ledge. We hug it out for a long time. As we break apart, Dad gives me something. "Here. I was going to give this to you on your 18th birthday, but I think now is a better time." He says as he pulls something out of his pocket. It's a small blue box. Curious, I open the box and pull out a silver locket. I open it up to see a picture of me and my parents on the beach, smiling and looking so happy together. I remember vaguely that it was Deaton that took this photo. My tail is a brilliant bright red, just like my father's. As for my mother's tail, it is a beautiful emerald green. I start crying and close the locket, hugging my dad tightly. "Thank you. I love it so much." I whisper happily. As we pull apart, Dad smiles warmly at me. "I'm glad you love it." He says. I put on the locket around my neck.