38: Not Alone

Stiles POV

*Dream*

I toss and turn in bed. "No, no, no..." I mutter incoherently. A few seconds later, I can't take it anymore. I scream and cry as loud as I can. Very faintly, I can hear someone running into the room and they are able to wake me up after a few attempts. It was Scott. "Shh, it's okay, it was only a nightmare." Scott comforts me, giving me a tight hug. I nod slowly, my breathing returning to normal. "I'm sorry for waking you up." I apologize guiltily, looking down at my feet. "You don't need to be sorry. Everyone gets nightmares." Scott assures me. I look back up at my best friend.

"I'll leave you to sleep." Scott says, climbing out of the bed. I watch as Scott walks away.

"Wait!" I call out. Scott stops and turn around.

"Could you, uh, just stay with me tonight? To keep the nightmares away?" I ask him very nervously. Scott smiles.

"Sure." He answers, walking back over to the bed and jumping in next to me. We start off with a gap between us, but then Scott ends up wrapping his arms around me, pulling me protectively close to his body. I grin and snuggle into Scott's arms, feeling warm, comfortable and safe while falling into a peaceful sleep.

*Dream ends*

I wake up from the dream within a dream to find myself alone in my own bed, no Scott with me, sunlight pouring through the windows. I sigh sadly. It was just a dream. I should've known. Scott would never sleep with me like that, especially with Samantha as his girlfriend. I slowly sit up and rub my eyes. I then jump out of bed and get ready for the day ahead, trying to forget the dream.

I arrive at school 10 minutes before the first lesson is due to begin. It doesn't take me long to find Samantha, who is sitting on the school's front steps. I walk over to her. "Hey. Can we talk?" I ask as politely as I can. Samantha nods and stands up. We walk away from the crowded entrance and stand under a tree. "What do you want to talk about?" Samantha asks, raising an eyebrow slightly. "Why did you help solve our argument?" I ask, getting straight to the point.

"I don't know what you mean." Samantha says with a small smile.

"Oh, come on, you know exactly what I mean, even though you still didn't tell Scott the whole truth." I snap.

"Fine, you got me. Your argument was only to prove my point, nothing else. I knew you eventually would give in and talk to Scott. If I wanted you two to keep fighting, I wouldn't have said anything. I told Scott that stuff because I wanted to help you." Samantha begins. I fold my arms over my chest, very interested in her explanation. This still didn't sound like Samantha would do.

"Why would you want to help me?" I frown.

"I knew if you and Scott didn't make up, Scott would always be thinking about the fight, regretting everything he said to you. That would result in him not giving me his full attention. I didn't want that. I want Scott focused on me, even if it means that you have to stay in his life. Besides, Scott appreciates me more now for helping fix things with you." Samantha replies. I roll my eyes. Of course that's why she did it. That's the Samantha I know. "We should try to be friends, Stiles. Or at least pretend to be friends. It'll make everyone else's lives easier." Samantha suggests.

"I tried, and what do I get in return? You harassing me almost every day!" I reply, shaking my head in dismissal.

"I know, but all I was trying to do was make sure you knew your place." Samantha shrugs. Know my place? What the hell does that mean? I guess Samantha knew what I was thinking. "You needed to know that you couldn't take Scott away from me." She explains for me. I don't answer.