35: Jealousy

Stiles POV

The next few weeks fly by, especially since we were planning Kara's birthday celebrations. It was tiring and difficult to pull off, but we managed to plan an awesome party for Kara. I think it was a great success. Kara seemed to throughly enjoy herself, just like everyone else did. Samantha helped us with the preparations too, even though she hasn't talked to Kara too much yet. We were grateful for the extra help, but I soon realized that it seemed like Samantha was running the party plans. We were usually following her instructions. I didn't mind, but I thought it was a collaborative group effort. Kira must have thought the same, because every now and then, I would hear her complain under her breath. It was always when Samantha was out of earshot. Usually it was when Scott was away too. Despite that little hiccup, the party was amazing. Samantha does know her stuff. I think we stayed up all night. After the party, Scott, Lydia, Malia, Isaac, Liam, Kira, Derek and I took Kara to the animal clinic where Deaton gave her another potion. Apparently it tasted just as bad as the child one, but Kara was happy to be rid of the threat of growing a tail every time she touched any liquid or water. I'm a little jealous, but I know my time will come soon. For a while, everything was well. All of my friends and I got along, including Samantha, despite my reservations. However, as the weeks went on, I noticed Scott and Samantha becoming very close to each other. They were almost inseparable. I tried not to act hurt. I know that Scott wouldn't intentionally leave me out or exclude me, but that's what it was starting to feel like. I was his best friend, yet I barely got to spend time with him alone anymore, if at all. Instead, I either hung out with Kira, Kara, Isaac and Lydia or just had long swims in the ocean. They were the ones that seemed to notice my increasing loneliness. The good thing that came out of that is now I'm even closer to those four. I still do hang out with the rest of the pack of course, but it definitely seems like Scott and I are drifting apart a little. I never talk to him about it, hoping that it would just fix itself on its own. However, that is not the case.

On this particular Saturday evening, Scott calls my mobile. I answer my phone excitedly. He hasn't called me in a couple of weeks now. "Hi Scott!" I say cheerfully.

"Hey Stiles!" Scott replies, his voice full of happiness.

"What's got you in a good mood?" I ask curiously.

"Well, you know how I've been spending more time with Samantha?" He begins.

"Yeah, what about it?" I ask, biting my lip slightly.

"Well, I finally got the courage to ask her out the other day. She said yes!" Scott explains excitedly. I stay silent for a couple of moments. "Wow, that's really great. I'm happy for you both. I hope this will lead you somewhere good." I reply, trying to sound excited, even though my heart has just shattered. I close my eyes, refusing to let the tears form. I guess my response wasn't convincing enough because Scott asked if I was okay. "Yeah, of course! I think you two will make a great couple. I just wish I could find the right person." I answer. This time, Scott buys it.

"Don't worry man, I promise that you will find the perfect person for you one day. They will love and cherish you for who you are. They will always be there for you and protect you. As your best friend, I can't wait until that day. I will support the two of you until the end of time. You deserve happiness, especially after all you have been through." Scott assures me. The perfect person for me is you, but I know it can never happen and that you can't ever know about it. I try to push the thought away. "Thanks Scott. I'm really looking forward to that day too." I say in response.

"When's your first date?" I ask curiously.

"In a few minutes, actually. I need to finish getting ready. I'll see you later, okay? I'll let you know how it goes." Scott says just before he hangs up. I sigh and place my phone down on my bed. Whatever little hope I had left just shattered. However, I don't focus on my own broken heart. Instead, I look out for Scott. I know that he's happy. I am pretty sure that Samantha will make him happy too. In that case, I'm happy, because all that matters is Scott's happiness. I can't focus on my own feelings. The world doesn't revolve around me. I'd rather everyone else be happy. If Scott and Samantha date, it seems that everyone else will be better off for it.