44: Saving Scott

Deaton POV

It has been five days since Stiles has left. I'm getting extremely worried. Scott doesn't have much time. Probably a day or two, tops. His condition has only gotten worse. I just hope the coma is freeing Scott from the pain. The others have also been extremely anxious and scared. I have tried to assure them that it will be okay, that Stiles will make it back, but honestly, I have no idea. I know that Stiles told the others if they don't make it back that they should find another way to save Scott, but I already know that their attempts will fail. Only elken can reverse the effects of the bloodflower's poison. I walk into the back room to find Malia, Kira, Kara, Isaac, Liam, Lydia and Derek are already there, watching over Scott. They have rarely left Scott's side. Neither has Samantha, but I don't see her around at the moment. I wonder where she could be. "The wound. It's still getting worse." Kira points out, shaking her head in disbelief. I walk over and examine Scott. The wound in question is red and black, the mixture of normal and sick blood. I can also see a pus oozing out of the wound, clearly meaning that it is infected. However, I know that bandaging it up won't do it any good. I've been disinfecting it every day, but there is only so much that I can do when it comes to this sort of poison. The skin around the bullet hole has gone a sickly shade of purple mixed with green and black. The thin purple and black veins spreading from the wound and across his body have now started to make their way up Scott's neck and arms.

"How can it get even worse?" Lydia asks hysterically with wide and fearful eyes. I'm sure there are lots of voices telling her that Scott is going to die very soon. I look at the young banshee sympathetically. "At least he's not in pain." I remind her. Lydia nods.

"Well, what's the plan if Stiles doesn't come back?" Malia asks, biting her lip nervously.

"I don't know... Deaton, would there be anything we can do?" Liam asks hopefully.

"Perhaps if I could extract the cells that allow you guys to heal and combine them, I could inject them into Scott and maybe that will be enough to save him, even for a little while." I lie, wanting to give the pack hope. Derek frowns, seeing right through me. "You're lying. That wouldn't work. Besides, how would you even do that? And what would happen to us?" Derek points out.

"I know, I'm just trying to remain as positive as I can and look at all options." I reply. Derek nods in understanding. We all look back down at Scott, the heart monitor beeping steadily.

"How long has he got?" Isaac asks almost in a whisper.

"At most, he has only got two days. His condition just keeps speeding up and getting worse." I sigh. Everyone starts to look like they are giving up hope. Suddenly, someone bursts through the door. We all turn around in surprise. I smile in relief when I see who it is. "Stiles! Oh my god, you made it!" Kira runs across the room and jumps onto Stiles.

"Oof!" I hear Stiles say as he tries to hold onto Kira and return the hug. Everyone else rushes around the two of them, also offering Stiles hugs and handshakes. Once everyone has been reunited, Stiles walks up to me, a smile plastered onto his face. "I did it! I got the elken! I faced so many horrors and dangers, but I got through them!" Stiles exclaims happily, showing me the seaweed. I smile broadly when I see that Stiles has brought me the one thing that can cure Scott. I look back up at Stiles. "I'm so glad that you made it, Stiles. I'm really proud of you. It must have taken so much courage to get to the Emerald Sea, which by many is thought to be a myth, grab the elken and manage to get back here. Within a week too! I know your father would be beyond amazed and proud." I compliment the young prince. Stiles grins back, handing me the elken. "I will go make the cure." I say before rushing out of the room.

Stiles POV

Once Deaton has left the room, I turn back around to everyone else. They all start asking questions at once. "What was the hardest and scariest thing that you had to face?" Lydia asks.