28: The Aquarium

Stiles POV

The next two weeks fly by. Maybe it's because I've been so busy, what with all the schoolwork, helping Kara and still continuing my power lessons with Deaton. Sometimes Kara comes along to watch. She will give me some advice whenever I'm struggling. As great of a teacher Deaton is, it is nice to have someone that actually uses powers themselves be able to teach you a thing or two. Turns out she has heat powers instead of ice. I guess the thing about merpeople from different parts of the ocean having different powers is true. I'm glad that the rest of the pack took Kara's existence well. For the most part, they were more curious than shocked. They all agreed to help her keep her secret and take down the hunters chasing her. We even talked to Chris, who also agreed to help us when he can. Today as I walk towards the animal clinic with Kara by my side, I catch her out of the corner of my eye staring at me. "What is it?" I ask curiously.

"Nothing, I was just wondering about that locket." Kara replies. We stop right outside the door. I turn to Kara. I touch the cool, smooth locket which hangs around my neck. "It was a gift from my father before he left. It contains the one family photo that we managed to take." I reply. Kara smiles.

"I never want to take it off. It makes me feel like my parents are always with me." I admit.

"Aw. That's sweet of you." Kara remarks. I chuckle and look down at my feet.

"I'm sure your parents are proud. Speaking of your parents, where are they?" Kara asks carefully. I sigh as I look back up at her. It is a sensitive topic to talk about, but it's probably a good idea that I do talk about it with someone. The whole truth. "My mother died not so long ago. She died trying to protect Atlantia. As for my father... He was taken by the sea witch, Vanessa. I don't know where he is now or if he's okay." I answer, my eyes watering slightly. I sniffle, forcing myself not to cry. I don't want to become an emotional mess again. "Oh Stiles, I'm so sorry. If I had known, I wouldn't have asked." Kara apologizes, pulling me into a tight hug. I'm surprised at first. Slowly, I melt into the hug.

"Thanks, Kara." I reply, letting my head rest on her shoulder.

"I'm always here for you if you need me." Kara reminds me. As we break away, I nod.

"I know." I reply. I look towards the animal clinic.

"Come on, Deaton will be waiting for us." I say. Together, we walk through the entrance and up to the front desk. Since no one is there, we make our way to the back room where sure enough, Deaton is waiting for us. "Hey, Deaton." I greet the veterinarian as I walk further into the room. Kara casually strolling up behind me. "Hi guys. Are you ready to get started, Stiles?" Deaton asks. I nod.

"Alright, Stiles. You've perfected wind and thunder, with a little help from Kara." Deaton nods in Kara's direction.

"We've also covered storms, both land and ocean ones. You might need to brush up on those skills a little, as it takes a lot of concentration to conjure up storms, as you have learned. However, that might not be a good idea at the moment because of all this hunter stuff. If there was a random storm in this area, they would know it's you or Kara, considering they know you're somewhere in Beacon Hills. When you do have a chance to practice, just try to think about it as just combining your weather skills and ability to move water." Deaton continues.

"Yep, sounds good." I nod in understanding.

"So, today we will be working on your image and memory sharing." Deaton announces.