36: The Darker Side of Samantha Worthington

Stiles POV

I notice Samantha staring at me oddly during the break, but I try to ignore it. Maybe she's just upset with what I said in class. I have to admit, I feel bad about it. I just got really annoyed. I don't like it when people talk badly about my friends behind their backs. I don't really care if they talked about me without me knowing, but my friends are another story. Also, I hated hearing about Scott and Samantha's make out experience. Too much information. Besides, it kind of made me feel sad and jealous that it's not me. I wonder if Samantha noticed my cheeks burning, because I certainly did. I still wonder how things would have turned out if I told Scott how I felt sooner. Would he be with Samantha still, would he be with me or would he be alone? I try not to dwell on the what if's too much. It hasn't worked well for me in the past. Besides, Scott is happy and that's what matters. I'm glad that Samantha is making him happy, even if she isn't that nice behind his back. Maybe she's still just trying to find her place in Beacon Hills. The rest of the day passes by quickly. I'm internally glad I don't have any other classes with just Samantha. Just as the final bell rings, I realize that I have detention. I groan a little as I grab my bag and start making my way out of the classroom. Kara stops me before I get too far.

"Stiles, are you okay? You've been very quiet today." Kara asks, biting her lip a little.

"Yeah, I'm fine. Just tired, that's all." I reply, giving her a reassuring smile.

"Okay, well, I guess I'll see you at home then." Kara says uncertainly. Shoot! I totally forgot Kara has no way of getting back to my place! What do I tell the teacher? "Oh my god Kara, I'm so sorry-" I begin to apologize, but Kara cuts me off.

"Don't worry about it. I can get a ride from Lydia. She's dropping Malia back to her place anyway." Kara laughs.

"Are you sure?" I ask the mermaid.

"Yeah, I'm sure. Go and have fun studying with Samantha." Kara smiles. We exchange goodbyes before Kara walks away. Scott, Lydia, Malia, Isaac and Kira all walk past me and also say goodbyes. I watch as they walk towards the entrance with Liam waiting there for them. I sigh, really wishing I could just hang out with them right now, not Samantha and Mrs Jones. I shake my head and walk to my locker, pulling out any school books I might need for detention. Once I've stuffed them all into my bag, I head to the geography room. I see that Samantha has already taken her seat. I walk in and sit down next to her. I would have liked to sit somewhere else, but all the other seats have been stacked up already. I don't want to make a fuss either. I notice Mrs Jones isn't in the room yet. I glance over at Samantha. She's staring at the board, barely blinking. "Hey, listen, I'm really sorry about earlier-" I begin, but I am interrupted by Samantha. She swings around and faces me directly. "Don't 'hey, listen' me. I know who you really are, Prince of Atlantia." Samantha exclaims. I feel my stomach flip.

"H-how do you know who I am?" I stammer, feeling really nervous.

"I remember hearing your name once. I couldn't remember where or why, but last lesson, it finally clicked." Samantha replies with a cruel smile. "Who are you?" I ask in disbelief.

"Samantha Worthington." She replies in a way like she is talking to a two year old. I roll my eyes.

"The better question is what are you?" I ask. Samantha hesitates for a moment. Gee, is that question really that hard?

"Mermaid." Samantha finally answers.

"Of course," I sigh.

"Why are you here?" I ask.

"I haven't lied about my past. My parents died and I wanted a fresh start in a completely new place." Samantha replies.

"So, you decided to live on land, out of all places?" I raise my eyebrows. Samantha rolls her eyes.