76: Stiles' Birthday

Scott POV

The next few weeks seem to speed by. I'm kept busy with homework, seeing Stiles and trying to work out what to get for his birthday. I also wonder what we're going to do for his birthday. I know that we have school and his dad said that he will have his coming of age ceremony down in Atlantia during the evening, which the pack, Deaton, Chris, Mom and I are invited to, of course. I'm thrilled about going to the ceremony. It's going to be amazing, I know it. From what Stiles and his dad have told me, it'll be the first official time that Stiles will be announced as Prince of Atlantia. Things will change; Stiles will have more responsibilities with the kingdom than before and he will help his Dad fairly rule Atlantia. Thankfully, he won't have to be in Atlantia all the time after the coming of age ceremony. Neither does his dad, although he still has to be there more than Stiles. Anyway, that's a topic for another day.

Right now, I'm walking into the high school. I head towards the lockers with a smile on my face. There aren't many students around yet, which makes sense because I am quite early for school today. Thankfully, I spot Stiles by his locker, about to open it. I smile even more. I'm glad he's early too. I wait by the end of the locker row and watch as Stiles opens his locker. Balloons pop out of the locker and streamers fly into Stiles' face. I watch as he splutters in surprise and starts to bat away the streamers and balloons. I quietly chuckle to myself. I slowly walk towards Stiles, who still hasn't noticed my arrival yet. I lean against the locker only a few spaces away from Stiles'. I watch as he stares at his locker in disbelief. "Lydia," He comments under his breath as he tries to stuff all the balloons and streamers back into the locker.

"What makes you think it was Lydia that did this? Well, sure, she gave me the idea, but it was still me. You don't know how hard it was to set up." I laugh as I walk over to my boyfriend. He jumps in surprise and turns towards me with wide eyes.

"God, Scott, you scared me! Don't do that!" Stiles exclaims as he puts a hand over his chest. I chuckle and step closer to him. I hold onto his waist. "Happy birthday, Stiles." I say happily before pulling Stiles in for a kiss. Stiles quickly melts into it and our lips move in sync with each other. It's a sweet moment for us. However, I start to smell the strange chemo signals coming off Stiles. I pull away slowly and frown. I remember Stiles telling me in the past that this strange smell is anxiety. "What's wrong?" I ask him in concern as I cup one of his cheeks with my hands.

"Aren't you happy that it's your birthday? Don't you like the surprise?" I ask as follow up questions. I watch as Stiles' eyebrows knit slightly together into a frown. "It's not that, Scott. Although, the balloons and streamers may have been over the top and totally Lydia's style." Stiles chuckles. I smirk in response.

"Anyway, the thing that is bothering me is that all of this is reminding me of what's going on at the coming of age ceremony tonight. I'm not sure if I'm ready to be officially announced as Prince of Atlantia! I'm not sure if I'm ready for the extra responsibilities! I'm scared that I won't be a good leader for the kingdom. I know that you're about to say that I will be a good leader and me saving the kingdom proved it, but that doesn't make my doubts disappear immediately. The locker thing and the constant 'happy birthday' comments from everyone keep reminding me of all these things and it's making me more nervous." Stiles admits in a quiet voice, making sure no one else can hear our conversation. Not that there are many people near the lockers anyway. I bite my lip and look at Stiles sadly. His eyes are full of worry. I let go of Stiles' cheek and grasp onto his hands comfortingly.

"I'm sorry that you feel this way, Stiles. It's not fair for you to feel like the weight of the world is on your shoulders, because it's not. Still, I want you to let me help carry that burden with you. I'll always be here for you, Stiles. I do know that you're going to be a great leader, no matter if you deny it or not. I believe in you and I always will." I assure my boyfriend confidently. Stiles gives me a warm smile. "Thanks, Scott. I really hope you're right." He replies.