13: Loyalty

Scott POV

I put an arm around Stiles' shoulders. "Stiles, it's going to be okay." I try to reassure my best friend.

"I understand the pain you're feeling. When I lost Allison, I didn't know what I would do without her." I continue. Suddenly, Stiles looks up at me, annoyance in his eyes. He stands up and glares at me angrily. saying "You have no idea what's going on here, or what it feels like! Stop trying to understand! That goes for everyone in the pack! You all think you know what I go through, but you don't!" Stiles snaps at me, more tears forming in his eyes. I sigh and look down guiltily. He's right. I have no idea what he's going through. He's lost both of his parents. Even though I'm not very close with my dad, at least I still have him. I now feel very lucky to have him. Deep down, I know he cares for me, he just doesn't know how to show it. Then there's my mom. I don't know what I would do without her. She's really shaped me into the person I am today. "Stiles, I'm sorry... I just want to help." I try to apologize. Stiles sits down next to me again.

"I know, Scott. I know. I'm sorry for yelling at you." Stiles responds.

"It's just that everything... Is going to hell right now." Stiles sighs, running a hand through his hair. He looks and smells stressed and overwhelmed. "What do you mean?" I ask Stiles. He looks at me for a second, opening his mouth to say something, but he quickly closes it and looks away. "You can tell me." I encourage him. Stiles shakes his head.

"No, I can't." Stiles replies in a voice barely above a whisper. I sigh, feeling very useless right now. Suddenly, I have a small idea. "Stiles, this may not make you feel better, but it could give you closure. Or hope." I begin. Stiles turns and looks at me with curiosity.  "What do you mean?" He asks, frowning slightly.

"Well, I was thinking we could go talk to Lydia. If your dad is dead, she would know. Not only does she have a banshee connection with him, but she also has a personal connection with him. I think it would be impossible to miss the death of someone who was important in your life." I explain.

"So, you're basically saying that if Lydia knows what we are talking about, he's dead, but if she has no clue, he's alive?"
Stiles asks to clarify. "That's one way of putting it, yeah." I nod. Stiles looks at the ground, considering the idea for a moment. I swear I can almost hear Stiles' brain ticking over. Eventually he looks back at me and nods. "Yeah, I guess we could talk to Lydia." Stiles answers. I get to my feet and Stiles does the same.

"What will be the quickest way to get to her house?" I ask.

"Probably if we go back and get my jeep." Stiles sighs.

"Are you sure you want to do that?" I question, not wanting to push Stiles.

"Yeah. I'm sure. I'll have to go past there eventually, right?" Stiles says as he walks back in the direction of his house. I sigh and hesitantly follow. After several minutes, we make it back to the overly crowded street. The neighbours have woken up and gone outside to see what all the fuss is about. I hear Stiles' heart rate increase as we get closer to his house. Once I see the jeep, I grab Stiles' arm and make a run for it. I don't want Stiles breaking down again and I'm sure he doesn't want that either. I open up the driver's door for Stiles and he clambers in, closing the door. I race around to the other side and open up the passenger door. I jump in, closing the door behind me. Stiles starts the engine and pulls away from the house. We both breathe a sigh of relief once we're out of the crime scene's sight. As we drive along the dark road, Stiles starts talking. "I'm sorry about tonight. I just wanted it to be fun." He sighs, shaking his head.