40: Melissa and Stiles

Stiles POV

"What did you do to him?" I ask, my voice cracking slightly. I finally let go of Scott, as does Isaac and Derek. Liam is still clutching his wounded arm. "I had to put him into a coma. That was the only way I could stop the seizure." Deaton says.

"You can wake him up, right?" Kara questions.

"I can, but there's no point in waking him up if he has still got the bloodflower poison in his system. He will just have more seizures and worse. At least in the coma, he can't feel any pain," Deaton explains.

"So, if he dies, he won't even be conscious?" Lydia asks with curiosity and sadness.

"No and it's probably better that way." Deaton responds.

"We have to save him." I say with determination.

"How?" Isaac asks despairingly.

"We find the antidote," I reply.

"This is my fault. If I had killed Vanessa when I had the chance, Scott wouldn't be dying right now." I sigh, closing my eyes tightly, realizing how true this is. Tears quickly run down my face. I was a fool for leaving the gun on the ground. As I open my eyes again, I see Lydia walking up to me. Without warning, she slaps me across the face. Everyone, including me, stares in shock. "Ow!" I announce loudly.

"I told you that if you blamed yourself that I would slap you." Lydia retaliates.

"It's not your fault, Stiles. You did what you thought was right and we all support you for it. Vanessa tricked all of us. Even if you had tried to shoot her, I bet she would have somehow saved herself and still hurt one of us, probably Scott." Kara adds, squeezing my shoulder in comfort. "Kara's right. Don't blame yourself for something you can't control. You know that Scott would be yelling at you if he had heard what you said." Kira says as she walks around to me and gives me a hug. "You did nothing wrong." Isaac assures me.

"Vanessa is just a sneaky, manipulative bitch that we will take down one day." Derek speaks up.

"Don't hate yourself for this, Stiles. It's not your fault that Scott is in the condition that he is in right now. Trust me when I say that no one in this room will ever blame you for what happened tonight. We will always stand by you, as a pack, as friends, as a family." Liam says reassuringly. I smile gratefully around at my friends. I give a small nod.

"Thanks, guys. I really needed that." I thank them. The pack all nod in acknowledgement. I wipe my eyes one more time before turning back to Deaton. "I don't care if the antidote is just a fairytale or a rumour. It is the only chance we have got. Where can we find it?" I ask with new confidence and bravery. Deaton sighs, finally giving in.

"Okay, I'll tell you. The antidote is the extremely rare type of seaweed called elken. It is the only type of seaweed which is blue and it only grows in deepest, darkest and most dangerous part of the ocean: the Emerald Sea." Deaton explains.

"I've never heard of the Emerald Sea before." Lydia comments.

"That's because no humans have ever explored it. The Emerald Sea could almost be classed as a myth, but over time, groups of merpeople have gone down there before. However, out of all of the merfolk that went there, only one of them has ever come back and told the tale and they were never the same again. That was quite a while ago. Merfolk are beginning to think it was just a story that someone told and no one has ever really been to the Emerald Sea. Most merpeople think it is just a legend that was passed down from their parents, teaching them not to go exploring into the unknown depths." Deaton explains.

"Then why do merpeople know that elken exists? Do you believe in the Emerald Sea and how did you even find out about it?" I ask curiously.

"Because it used to grow in other parts of the world, but once the earth had started heating up, the seaweed just died and eventually dissolved into sand. The reason why it still grows in the Emerald Sea is because that is the coldest, darkest and deepest part of the ocean. The climate hasn't changed there at all." Deaton replies.