43: Finding the Cure

Stiles POV

I swim for a few more hours until I decide I should have a rest. I lie down on the ocean floor, feeling comfortable in the sand. I stare upwards, trying to listen for any noises, but all I can hear is the water's movement. It is so quiet down here, more so than it usually is for the ocean. Maybe it's because I'm so far down and it's dangerous here. I sigh, missing the pack already. Doubts creep into my mind. Can I really do this? I don't even know what elken looks like! What will  happen if I die? Will Scott die too? I try not to dwell on these thoughts, but it's hard. I also can't help but think back to what Diana said. Was I really selfish for declining that deal? Did I just make it worse for my dad and Atlantia? My chest starts to ache from the guilt inside of me. No, stop it. Diana was just trying to get inside my head and catch me off guard.  I close my eyes and try to think about positive things. The main thing I think about just happens to be Scott. I remember all the laughs and good times we have had. I remember the times where we have saved each other. Suddenly, I am filled with determination. It's like I've suddenly just remembered why I'm here. I need to find the elken. It's the only way to save Scott. With newfound confidence, I get up and start swimming again, bubbles surrounding me. I focus on the things right in front of me. I enjoy the feeling of my tail flipping up and down and therefore propelling me forwards, my body moving in the same motion as my tail, my hair flowing slightly behind me and the bubbles surrounding me and pressing on my skin.

After a while, I hear a strange growling noise. I stop suddenly and hide behind a rock. I peer around the rock, both with curiosity and nervousness. The growling gets louder. Suddenly, a monstrous creature appears from a small, dark cave. The creature has midnight black scales, sharp, pointed and glistening teeth, deadly looking claws, pure white eyes and a long tail. The creature is holding a sharp trident that looks like it could go right through me. I gulp anxiously, my fear setting in again. I have no idea what to do. Thankfully, the sea monster hasn't seen me yet. I duck my head behind the rock again. I take deep breaths, trying to not create a panic attack. After a minute, I can't hear the growling anymore. Confused, I look over the rock again. I can't see the monster. Did it leave? Suddenly, I feel bubbles fly by my neck, almost like something is breathing right behind me... I turn around and yelp in fear. The monster is in my face, baring its teeth at me. As it starts to lunge, I swim away as quick as I can. Thankfully, the creature misses. I flip my tail faster, swimming through small tunnels, hoping that I would lose the sea creature. Unfortunately, I have no such luck. I hear the thing snapping and attempting to bite at my fins behind me. I need to formulate a plan. Fast. I quickly turn a corner, but find that it is a dead end.

I spin around, eyes wide. The creature rushes at me. Just as he is about to sink his teeth into me, I dodge out of the way. The monster smashes into the wall. It seems dazed for a couple of moments. I swim up to the other side of the huge cave. "Come on, big guy! Is that all you have got?" I shout, grabbing the monster's attention. It turns around glares at me with anger. The creature roars and starts swimming towards me. This time when it gets close, I swim upwards. The creature slams into the cave wall. I can hear rumbling and watch as some of the rocks start to fall. I look down at the creature and the trident. Without thinking, I swim down and try to snatch it out of the monster's hand. I almost have it, but the creature quickly turns its attention back to me. I grip onto the trident tightly, as does the creature. It tries to pull it away as it swims backwards, but the effort only results in me being pulled along with it. The creature's tail slams into my side. I groan in pain, but I don't let go. If I do, I would most likely be impaled. Again. This time however, I don't think I would get a chance to heal.

The creature bares its sharp and pointed teeth. What the hell is this thing? I tug at the trident, but it doesn't do much. The creature spins around and manages to pin me up against the wall. The trident is the only thing separating us. I hold it out in front of me, not wanting the creature to get closer. I ignore the stabbing pain in my back from the tiny, sharp rocks on the cave's wall digging into me. I grit my teeth together and try to shove the monster away. It doesn't work too well. I let one hand drop away from the trident, even though it means the creature is snapping and hissing right in front of my face. I need to try something. I stretch my free arm out towards the creature and concentrate. I watch with relief as the creature goes flying backwards, letting go of the trident. I keep a strong hold on it with two hands now. The creature growls and races toward me. I let him chase me back out into the open water, no caves to hide in, no rocks to hide behind. I swim through the forests of seaweed, the monster keeping right on my tail. As I swim through the last bit of seaweed, I turn around and hold the trident out. The creature swims right into it. The sea monster howls in pain and thrashes around wildly, trying to pull out the trident, but it's too late. The damage is done. I swim back and watch as it slows and eventually comes to a stop, floating in the water, which is turning blood red around the creature. Tentatively, I swim closer to the creature to check if it's still alive. It's eyes are wide opened, glazed over and unmoving. The creature's body is limp. I don't particularly want to check for a pulse or heart beat though. I am pretty sure it's dead. I grab it's shoulder and pull the trident out of its chest as quickly as I can. It's not an easy task. The trident doesn't want to budge, but I eventually manage to pull it out. The blood from the trident washes away with the ocean current.