16: Saving Stiles

Scott POV

"Come on, Stiles! Breathe!" I scream, shaking my best friend. Every second hurts more than the last. Suddenly, Deaton pushes me out of the way. I fall to the floor and start to cry. I let all of my emotions finally spill out. I look up slightly to see Deaton desperately pressing on Stiles' chest. He's performing CPR. Why did I just freeze up and not think of that? You're an idiot, Scott! I want to slam my head against a door because of my idiocy, but now is not the time. I wipe my eyes and stand next to Deaton, hoping and praying. "Please, Stiles. Come back to us." I whisper, taking his hand and squeezing it tight. Tears roll down my face again. Finally, Stiles' heart starts beating again and he takes in rattly breaths. I cry out in relief. However, my joy is short lived. He's still in a lot of danger. He isn't breathing much, but when he is, it is very wobbly. Stiles needs a cure. Fast. I look over at Deaton. We exchange looks of relief. However, I can see in Deaton's eyes that he knows something that I don't. Does he know what could have done this to him? Does he know a cure? Deaton seems to read my mind. "Snapdragon." He answers simply.

"Snapdragon? Is that even poisonous?" I ask with a frown. I've never heard of snapdragon being deadly before. Maybe it's a rare kind of snapdragon. "Obviously, yes." Deaton gestures to Stiles.

"Can you cure him?" I ask hopefully. Deaton thinks about it for a moment before answering.

"Yes, but it won't be a five minute thing, Scott. It will take some time." Deaton replies.

"Will he live?" I ask, fear washing over me.

"If I know what I'm doing and nothing goes wrong, then yes. He will live." Deaton tells me. I pull him into a tight hug.

"Thank you." I say gratefully as I let go. Deaton nods.

"Scott, I think it's time for you to go. You've been a great help, but from this point on, it's a job just for one." Deaton says awkwardly. "No, I can't leave him!" I protest. Deaton sighs.

"I'll just go get some other things." He says as he walks away. Once he's out of sight, I grab a chair and put it right next to the metal bench. I sit down on it. I lean over and grab Stiles' hand again and hold it in mine. His hand feels very cold. It feels like death. I hope for his sake that will change when Deaton cures him. I start crying again. I just can't believe how close my best friend was to dying. I didn't even do a damn thing to stop it. Eventually, I wipe away the tears. If Stiles wakes up, I don't want to look like a mess. "You're going to be alright, Stiles. I promise." I assure the unconscious boy, unsure whether he can hear me or not. I squeeze his hand comfortingly. A few more minutes pass before Deaton comes back in again. However, he has a guest accompanying him. My mom. I look up at her, my eyes still red and puffy from crying. She places a hand over her mouth when she sees Stiles in this state. Mom walks over to me. "Honey, we have to go. Let Stiles rest." She says gently, but I can see her holding back her own tears. I know that Stiles is like family to her, just as she is to him. I shake my head. "No. I have to stay with him, Mom. I can't leave him. Not now. That would make me a horrible friend." I tell her sadly. Mom sighs, putting her hands on her hips and thinks for a moment.

"Scott, Deaton needs to cure Stiles! He can't do that if you're here!" Mom says, starting to lose her patience. It's probably because she's upset too. "Why can't I help?" I reply loudly.

"You've helped enough. Deaton knows that it'll be too much for you if you stay and help anymore." Mom says, placing her hands on my shoulders, pulling me up from my seat. She starts to pull me away from Stiles. I let go of his hand and watch as it drops down onto the table. "No! Please let me stay! I know I can handle it! I need to!" I protest against Mom's grip. Tears stream down my face. Suddenly, I feel something jab into my arm. "Ow!" I yell, looking over at Deaton. "It'll help to calm you down." He said. I think he purposefully left out the part that it'll dampen my strength. I struggle against my mom as she pulls me away from the clinic. I eventually stop struggling as I get in the car. I watch sadly as we drive away from the animal clinic. Once Mom pulls up into the driveway and stops the car, we both get out. I walk to the front of the house, void of any emotion. When Mom opens the door, I make my way to the dining room. I sit down on a chair and stare at the wall in front of me. I hear Mom walk up behind me. She wraps her arms around me. I quickly melt into the hug, shutting my eyes tight as I start to cry again. "I can't let him die, Mom." I whisper as we continue to hug. "I know, Scott. I know. I don't want Stiles to die either." Mom replies, trying to comfort me.