54: Stiles' Anchor

Scott POV

My heart feels like it is in my throat. I can't believe what I am seeing right now! Tears rapidly roll down my cheeks. Suddenly, Stiles' eyes roll into the back of his head and he starts to fall. I rush forward and catch him before he hits the ground. I'm careful to not touch any of his wounds. I cradle Stiles in my arms as I start sobbing. How the hell could this happen to him? I should've followed my gut feeling when I had the chance! Maybe then Stiles wouldn't be in this condition right now. I'm finding it hard to breathe. I feel hands on my shoulders, but I don't care. I can hear people talking to me, but I drown their voices out. All I care about right now is Stiles. I examine the bite marks on his leg, shoulder and arm. His arm is most definitely the worst. I feel like I'm going to be sick just by looking at it. There is a huge chunk of flesh missing. I can see the muscles and tendons of Stiles' arm as the blood pours out. I can even see a tiny bit of white bone, which makes my stomach drop even further. I can't imagine how much pain he is in right now. I quickly try to take some of it away. The veins in my arms turn black. Almost straight away, I'm in agony. I cry out and look towards the ceiling, trying to ignore the crippling pain. As I look down again, I notice Malia, Liam and Isaac kneel down around Stiles and I as they gently touch his chest. Their veins also turn black as they take some of his pain. It lessens the strain for me, but it soon becomes excruciating for the others as well.

"Let go," I tell them after another minute.

"But-" Malia tries to interject as her eyes glow blue.

"No. It's enough. You can let go." I tell her. Malia sighs and lets go of Stiles, as do the others. I continue holding on, but I slowly stop taking Stiles' pain. I feel like I might pass out myself. At least Stiles won't be in as much pain now. Well, I hope so. I look back up around at everyone else. Their faces are only showing horror. "What the hell could do this to him?" I yell to the group. Derek kneels down and examines the wounds.

"Well, we can't know for certain until he wakes up, but for now, I'm going to say a wendigo. It did try to eat him, after all." Derek says. I hold back another sob. A wendigo almost ate my best friend alive. How could this even have happened? Why did this happen? Why couldn't it have been me? "Scott, we need to let him heal." Samantha tells me urgently. I can see panic and horror in her eyes, but she's acting calm, which is great. With everyone freaking out, it's making me feel worse. I need someone who is calm. I need someone to tell me that it's going to be okay.

"Someone get some water." Samantha tells the group. Chris nods and rushes into a smaller room. I look back down and stroke my hand through Stiles' thick brown hair. "It's going to be okay, Stiles. I promise. You're going to be okay." I whisper to the pale boy. It breaks my heart to see him like this. I'm suddenly reminded of the times when he was poisoned by Daniel and stabbed through the chest by Daniel. He had looked so fragile and helpless, just as he does now. I thought I was going to lose him both of those times. However this time, I know I won't lose him. I can't lose him. "I don't understand... Who could be so cruel to want to do this to him?" I whisper, but everyone in the room hears me. "Unfortunately there are a lot of terrible monsters out there, Scott. It's our job to stop them so things like this don't happen." Derek answers.

"Well, we are doing a terrible job at stopping the monsters if we somehow let this happen to Stiles!" I yell back at the older werewolf. I look back down at the merman in my arms. My heart aches seeing him like this. I think back to what he said to me before he passed out. Somehow, Stiles must have fought off the wendigo, but in doing so, he killed it. I have a feeling Stiles is horrified by what he did and will have a hard time forgiving himself. I hope he knows that none of us will blame him for it. In my opinion, he has nothing to forgive himself for. If any of us were in his boat, we all would have done the same thing. Stiles was just trying to survive and thankfully, he did. Besides, a cannibal like that should be killed. Wendigos make me sick. I wish that I was the one attacked by the wendigo, not Stiles. I look up to see Chris walking over to us carrying a bucket of water. "Will his arm heal?" Isaac asks worriedly.