5 | Baby Blues

"Pregnant?" I screamed. I stared at the stick in agony.
"It's a possibility," Nick smiled faintly.
I just couldn't believe it. I should have realized it sooner! The fainting... when I saw Jackson...

"Boss," Rosita ran in. "Apparently the guy that Scarlett shot isn't dead!"
My heart stopped for a second and I started to get hot.

"He isn't dead...?" I asked again, to assure my mind that he was still alive.
"Yes, unfortunately," Rosita replied.
"Damn it!" Nick shouted in anger. I just couldn't understand how a bullet just grazed him. "He was supposed to die! Scarlett, you told me you knew how to work a gun!"

"Yeah, yeah, okay," I replied sarcastically. "That was the first time."
He crossed his arms and paced around the room, very frustrated. He was definitely disappointed in me. But most of all, I was disappointed in myself. I should have shot Jackson and ended this already. I was already in a pit of hell, knowing that I could be pregnant with his child. I stood up.

"Where are you going?" Rosita asked.

"To the bathroom," I said. "To see if this is true." I showed the pregnancy test to her. She gasped as I walked to the bathroom. I did my business on the stick and sat on the nearest bench, in agony. If I was pregnant and Jackson found it, I would be screwed. He probably wouldn't be fighting for his child, he'd probably want to kill me because he thought I cheated on him. The three minutes felt like three hours. Nick walked in and out a couple of times, and yet the three minutes weren't over yet.

Then the three minutes came.

I picked it up from the sink and took a long, hard deep breath. Then I shifted my attention to a faint line.

"Oh no," I said to myself, dropping the stick in the sink. "This just can't be happening!" Then I let out a loud scream that could be heard from the floors right at the bottom.

"Scarlett," Nick spoke. "You need to calm down and get some rest. Honestly, I don't think we'll be getting much sleep with the amount of noise you are making right now."

"It's all my fault," I cried. "I should have listened to my mother - I shouldn't have gone with him, I-"

"No," Nick rested his arm on my shoulder. "I don't know what happened in your past and I don't care to know- but I know you. I know you're a kind woman with a free-spirited heart. You put others first and that's all that I need to know. If another woman noticed my men killing a man, kicked my men in the nuts and screamed in my face, I would have killed them by now. But I didn't do that to you, Scarlett. Because for some reason, I love you."

Surprisingly, my tears had already dried up. I felt the warmth of his voice, and this was probably the only time I heard such a sincere tone from him. I turned to look at him, and our faces were close. He leaned forward and his lips fell onto mine, and I opened my mouth slightly to let his slip through. We kissed for some time, and he jumped up.

"This isn't right," He spoke. "You are expecting another man's child and I am taking advantage of you? No way."

"You aren't taking advantage of me," I corrected him. "Whoever the father is to this baby, I don't love them. I loved them before - once - but that's over. I am ready to start over."

"It still doesn't feel right," Nick said. "I only met you yesterday. I mean- I hardly even know you."

"Then why did you kiss me?" I asked with a sad look. He paced around the room trying to find an answer.

"I don't know. We were just in the heat of the moment, that's it," He spoke quickly, very nervous.

In the heat of the moment- I thought to myself, wondering if that was true or that was just an excuse he was making up. I never knew Nick had a soft side - he was slowly opening up to me. I placed my hands on my stomach which probably contained a fetus that was created by the biggest dickhead in my life. I thought about the trouble this baby would cause The Ivory Lions and the fact that I hadn't even made a decision to join them or not. This was being lingered on for too long - I had no choice but to disappear from this town and go and find my mother.