20 | Kiss Me

"I want to see his grave," I told my mom, who was currently looking through old documents.

"I don't know where is, honey. I've been trying to look for it for four years now, but no one tells me anything."

"I know where it is," said Sean. "He's buried in a private park around 20 minutes from here."

"Thanks so much, Sean. I owe you one."

"Don't thank me. You deserve it." Then he smiled at me and my mom lifted her eyebrow. "I'm gonna go and top up some gas. I'll be right back, okay?"

"Okay," I replied and Sean took his car keys and dashed out the door. 

"Scarlett, are you and Sean dating?" she smiled, and stared at me. I know why she was asking, but honestly, I didn't know what to say to her.

"No, of course not. He saved me from being arrested by the cops when I was drunk."

"How did you get drunk?" She asked, giving me that "don't lie to me" look.

"The same way everyone else gets drunk. From drinking too much alcohol."

"Scarlett, you know what I'm talking about. What made you wanna drink?"

Then I remembered the day that Nick and I arrived in Russia and Nick shot that driver in the back. Nick betrayed me that day. He had no right whatsoever to shoot that man. I resented him for that.

"I don't wanna talk about it," I replied, thinking about it. "It's saddening knowing that you love someone, and then they stab you in the back and treat you like you're not relevant."

"Scarlett, I know something's wrong. I'm still shocked at how you even ended up in Russia. What happened between you and Jackson?"

Then I knew that I had to be straight up and honest. My mom was the only family that I had left, and the only person I could trust. Back when I was in my teenage years, I never talked to my mom about anything. My mom was always silent and secretive. I would sneak out the house and go and hang out with Jackson, or sneak out to parties. I wasn't a bad girl - on the contrary, I helped my mom a lot with the bakery that we ran together. However, my mom and I's relationship wasn't a strong one. Now that I had the opportunity to fix things, I couldn't let it slip by.

"Everyday would be a living hell. Jackson hit me numerous times and I had no one. Just recently, he raped me and kicked me out. Some people would call it the worst day of their life but I called it the best day of my life. My chance to finally escape and live a life as far away from Jackson as possible. Then I witnessed a murder, and they took me. Miraculously, it was the Ivory Lions. I met Nick Greyson, and found out I was pregnant shortly after, then he brought me to Russia, but then we went different ways and now I'm here."

"Oh, honey, I'm so sorry. I wasn't in America when you needed me."

"Mom, if I didn't run away, this wouldn't have happened. But everything happens for a reason, right?"

"Right." she replied and then she grabbed the box which was in the tent and opened it up. She brought out an envelope that was labelled "Bills".

"What's that?" I asked. 

"I wrote Bills on it so if someone found it, they wouldn't be curious to know what was in it. Your father wrote this in Russia just hours before he was killed. He sent it over and I opened it after they announced that he was dead. I was supposed to give you this on your 18th Birthday, but you weren't around, so, I kept it in hopes that I would find you someday."

I wiped the tears and sniffed a bit before opening the envelope. I took a deep breath and read it to myself. 

"You know, I'm kind of happy that I didn't receive this on my 18th birthday

"You know, I'm kind of happy that I didn't receive this on my 18th birthday. You know why?"

"Why?" Mom asked.

"Because today is the perfect day. I know everything, I've been reunited with you... if you gave this to me before... It wouldn't have made sense. I guess there's a time for everything."

"Me too. Look behind the letter."

I turned over the letter and found a medallion, with diamond encrusted initials, shining from the paper.

"Dad's medallion!"

"Yeah, I kept it in case you needed it one day." I took the medallion and stuffed it in my jean pockets. Then Sean busted through the door, swinging his keys.

"Got the BMW running. Who's coming?" Then my mom and I laughed and followed Sean. My mom and I sat in the back of the car, and Sean was looking through the rear view mirrors, staring at us. "You know, you both look like twins, apart from the fact that Mama Scarlett has blonde hair and you dyed yours, Scarlett."

"Yeah, why did you dye your hair?" asked my mom, feeling my hair.

"Cops," I replied and she gave me that "Ohhhh" look. We were in the car for about 15 minutes and arrived at a private cemetery. We saw guards standing at the gates with clipboards and pens. 

"How are we going to get pass them?" My mom asked, looking worried.

"Trust me, they'll let me in. Remember, I'm Valentina Petrova. And I've got the medallion."

Then my mom smiled faintly and we walked up to the guards.

"I've come to see Andrei Petrova's grave." I spoke, trying to look at what they were writing down.

"Sorry, Petrova's already got a visitor."

"But I'm his daughter. You better let me in."

Then the guards started to laugh at each other and I brought out the medallion. As soon as their eyes hit the medallion they both shut up. Then I grabbed my gun and pointed it at their heads.

"Not a word about this to anyone. You hear me?"

"Yes, Boss, anything you say." Then they opened the gates and let me in. We looked around and finally found my father's grave. Everyone else's had flowers on it, but my father's was empty. I found a couple of daisies on the ground and placed them on the plaque. The plaque read:

A warrior and true fighter. He will never be forgotten.

Воин и настоящий боец. Он никогда не будет забыт.  

Andrei Petrova -  1955-1992

A tear rolled down my eyes reading this. Yes, I never met him or knew him, but I was made by him. He was still my father. I had his blood, and courage. My mom also cried, sobbing at the fact that she couldn't do anything to prevent his death. Sean paid his respects and comforted my mom and I. Then I noticed a shadowy person in the distance who looked familiar. The more closer they got, the more I smelt their cologne. And that cologne, undoubtedly, was, Nick's. Even though I walked away, he kept catching up. I did the only thing that came to mind.

"Sean, kiss me,"

----------

Thanks for reading this chapter! I didn't want this chapter to end up sad, I needed something to happen! Do you think Scarlett has gone in wayyy over her head or is it fair that she thinks she's superior? And the burning question: Is Sean going to kiss Scarlett back? All will be revealed in the next chapter of:

MISS MAFIA!