18 | Daddy Dearest

"Scarlett, are you sure about this...?" asked Rosita.

"I've never been more sure about anything in my life," I replied, scrunching up my fists. The anger I was feeling at this moment was indescribable. I couldn't believe that I was in the very place they murdered my father and I never knew about it for 24 fucking years. But what I couldn't understand was why they did, and why my mom decided to change my identity all of a sudden. "We need to go to some sort of ancestry website, therefore, we can find something that links us to my Dad."

"I'm on it," said Rosita, who was already on Google. "Can I see that name again?"

"Sure," I handed the letter to her and she took a picture of it. I was really determined to find out the whole truth about my father and why I was never told that truth by my very own mother.

"The name is Andrei, like A-N-D-R-E-I," I tried to remember that name but nothing came to mind. I stood in disbelief. "Hey, Scarlett, are you sure that this letter is really linked to you? I mean, what if this is for somebody else?"

"Why would that woman run away from me? As soon as I stepped into that tent, I felt something I'd never felt before, some sort of discomfort. I touched the map and it felt hot like something was wrong or unfinished. And I know for a fact, that my mom's name was Victoria. Everything just makes sense."

"I guess you're right, I just don't want you to end up getting hurt because of a single mistake,"

"Thanks for worrying," I replied, and I placed my hand on Rosita's shoulders and we both smiled. Then I heard some rattling coming from the alleyway.

"Did you hear that? Here, take my gun and I'll hold the knife," whispered Rosita. Then I started to walk out the tent. "Hey, where are you going?"

"Whoever's there, put your hands up!" I shouted as I pointed the gun everywhere.

"It's me!" shouted Aaron, lifting an eyebrow.

Phew. I thought to myself.

"Jesus, Sierra, getting feisty already?" laughed Aaron. Rosita ran up to Aaron and kissed him.

"Don't you think it's time to tell Aaron the truth?" asked Rosita, looking at me.

"Yeah," I laughed. "My name isn't Sierra. My real name is Scarlett or Valentina but I prefer Scarlett."

"I knew something was up!" replied Aaron, snapping his fingers at me.

"Right," replied Rosita sarcastically and then we all laughed together.

"Hey, where's Sean? Isn't he back yet?" asked Aaron.

"We haven't seen him since he ran off, looking for my... mother,"

"Mother?"

"Yeah, I just found out that she ran away because of me. I guess she was in shock and couldn't face me."

"How did she even know it was you? I mean, you look completely different!"

"Maybe it was something to do with the spiritual stuff that she does, I don't know,"

"We have to look for him," said Aaron, and he ran off.

"Aaron's right but I don't think I'm ready to face my mom now," I replied.

"I understand. Well here's the keys to the apartment and we'll be back soon."

"Thanks," I hugged her and returned to the apartment. It was strange being alone, but at least I had a gun for protection. I don't know why, but Nick was on my mind. I could never forget about him, even if I tried because he was the first one that I truly loved even though our love lasted for a short amount of time. I could still feel his presence around me, almost as if he was protecting me but I knew that what Nick and I had, was over. I had to move on.