32 | Step-Sorting

I glared at Nick, who was wearing a full black suit as if he was going to a funeral. There were so many things that were going on in my head right now, and the fact that Nick just left me there to die, and to think that he might have been dead as well just made me so angry. I was about to slap him when he grabbed my wrists and put them back down.

"You bastard! You left me there to think that you were dead!" I shouted in his face. "Why?"

"I thought I heard my father's voice and I rushed down there to see what was going on and why they were shouting you! Then I came back, and you were gone!"

Then Rosita agreed with what Nick had just said. But that wasn't enough for me.

"Well, Nick, you knew that I was totally incapable of even walking! I could have died! And your 'father' as you call him - I don't get why you still call that man your father! He's not! We're siblings, Nick!"

"I don't care," he shook his head. "They wanted you! Can't you see that I was trying to protect you?!"

"From what? The person that never loved you?" I yelled. Rosita stood in the middle of us.

"Both of you! Stop it! I know this is hard but shouting at each other isn't going to help the situation!"

"Ro," Nick smiled a bit. "I almost forgot for a second that you were here. I've missed you a lot."

Rosita smiled back. "Just please, guys. You know I love the both of you dearly, but can we please not create a World War 3?"

"I agree," said Nick. "Scarlett, let's just do this once and for all. We'll go to the DNA testing area and prove whether your father, is my father. Maybe it'll shut us all up."

I rolled my eyes, but I had to do it. It had already lingered on for too long; Nick and I needed to know where we stood. Nick started walking, and I followed along. From where we were in the hospital, it was a very long walk. Maybe it was because my knee was still sore - I don't know. Nick was always ahead, never waiting for me to catch up, just like when we were in the airport, and he wouldn't stop walking fast. We didn't talk the whole way there, I guess we were just anxious to see what the results were. 

We had finally arrived. There was no queue, which was good for us. Nick walked up to the front desk and asked the woman whether we could quickly get tested and receive the results today. The woman said it was possible to do that, but we would have to pay some extra money to get it done sooner. I was about to get my purse out my pocket, but Nick had the cash in his hands, ready to pay. We both filled out a form and wrote our names on the guest list. I was called to come into the room first. I sat down in the leather chair, and the nurse took a q-tip and swabbed the inside of my mouth with it. I walked out the room and Nick was called in. I was rested on the blue chairs and Nick came out with the nurse.

"How long is this going to take?" I asked.

"Probably around 20 minutes. Is that okay?"

"Yeah, sure," I smiled and Nick came and sat two seats away from me. After only about seven minutes, I was already beginning to feel fed up. These twenty minutes felt like twenty hours. It reminded me of when I was sat in Nick's bathroom, waiting those three minutes to find out if I was pregnant or not. Then I thought of how I would have given birth to my baby girl this month or the month after. A tear rolled down my face as I thought of her. Nick looked at me.

"Why are you so upset? I thought you would be happy that we're separated." Nick reached for a tissue on the coffee table in front of us and handed it to me. 

"It's not that," I began. "I'm just thinking about my baby girl I would have given birth to around this time of the year. I really miss her."

"I'm really sorry," Nick took the tissues out my lap and wiped my tears. "I don't like to see you crying."

Then I heard a deep breath coming from Nick, like he was about to say something. I looked at him. Then he sat closer to me.

"Listen, Scarlett," he then placed his arms over me. "Whatever those results may be, and whether you would have had this baby or not, I would have still taken care of this baby like it was my own. I know I told you earlier that I wasn't willing to raise this child because it was Jackson's but I don't want to be like my father. My father treated me like a bastard child because he thought I was Andrei's son. I would have learned to love her like my own daughter. I would be here for you and her, no matter what."

What Nick had just said made me cry even more. This is the most compassionate thing Nick has ever said to me. He would really do this for me? I would never had expected such care and support from him, but unfortunately, my baby girl wasn't alive to experience having such a great father. Nick then hugged me and I was in his arms. Then I realized that Sean was still in that hospital bed, waiting for me. I couldn't be doing this with Nick anymore. Nick and I had to part ways.

"Nick, you know that whatever those results are, is going to change everything. Staying by your side is only going to worsen things between us. We've tried being together again, but nothing works out."

"We can make it work," Nick said reassuringly. "When those results say that we're not siblings, we can try and be that family that your daughter would have had."

"I don't think you get it," I blurted out. I couldn't keep living like this. I had to tell Nick that I was marrying Sean the next day so he would let me be. "Nick, Sean and I are getting married tomorrow."

Then Nick's eyes started to water. He licked his lips and didn't say a word. I think that he knew now that even if we weren't siblings, we couldn't be together either way. Then I could hear footsteps from the back room and the woman came out. Nick and I stood up to go and hear the results. I crossed my arms as she opened her mouth to speak.

"Both of you are..."

----