30 | Diamond

"Why didn't you tell us?" I threw the letter on the floor and sobbed. Sean shrugged and placed his hand to his face. I rubbed my eyes countless times, trying to wipe away the tears that wouldn't stop flowing. Sean had CLL. The thoughts that were running through my head were the fact that Sean wasn't going to have long to live, and the fact that I had made him even more upset by rejecting him. I did forgive him for ratting me out, and I know that Jackson manipulated him. Sean rescued me, took me in and didn't even know who I was. And even though I treated him badly, he still rescued me from the hospital. I looked at Rosita who was crying, her face in utter shock.

"Sean, why didn't you tell us?! We could have helped you!" She screamed.

"You couldn't have, Rosita. My father had it and died early - I'm already on stage 3. There's nothing we can do about it."

Then I butted in.

"Then why haven't you been taking your medication? Or going to get treatment?" I asked, desperately.

"There's nothing to live for, Scarlett. I just can't go on. Everyone I love just... disappears from my life. I can't do this anymore. I want to die."

"Don't say THAT!" I shouted. "You have us, me, Rosita and Aaron to help you. We're all here for you, Sean. And we always will be."

"Would you really stay by my side?" Sean asked, coming towards me and gazing into my eyes. I paused for a few seconds to try and figure out what he meant by that. Then he noticed I was struggling for words, so he stepped back.

I moved further into the bed and stared at the white walls. The room was quiet for a few minutes, and then Rosita stormed out. I knew she was angry, and to be honest, I would be too. But right now I had to toughen up for Sean, and let him know that he had my support whenever he needed it, and that I would always be there for him.

I tried to get up to fetch Rosita, but Sean pushed me back into the bed.

"You need to rest your legs," he smiled faintly. His eyes were watering. His hands were shaking. Everything about Sean right now was very off-putting. "And uh- I'm sorry about the baby."

"It's okay," I replied, feeling my stomach. "7 months with my baby girl - more than enough, right?"

"A girl," he chuckled. "But you should have had those 9 months. Jackson is an idiot for being reckless on the road. I bet she would have grown up to be as brave and as beautiful as her mother."

I laughed nervously. I made eye contact with Sean, and he smiled back at me. Then he took the blanket off me and carried me off the bed.

"What are you doing?" I asked him as he walked out the door with me in his arms.

"There's wheelchairs downstairs in the lobby," he smiled. "I want to take you out somewhere."

I felt the cold wind pressed against my face, as Sean pushed me down the roads. It felt like I was on a rollercoaster, about the crash. But I wasn't. I was on Cloud 9.

"Faster!" I shouted as Sean pushed faster and we ended up in a park. People stared, but I didn't care. For the first time in my life, I was having fun.

We ended up on a beautiful pier, where the sights of Russia were right in front of us, as if we were watching a movie. The waves were crashing against each other and Sean and I watched it all, together. It was strange at first, but I slowly started adjusting to it. It felt nice, feeling the wind. It was like all your troubles were being swift in the wind and flying away. Then Sean turned the wheelchair to face him.

"I needed something like this," he smiled.

"What? Pushing a wheelchair like s mad man?!" I asked and we both laughed. "Because we can do this all the time if you want!"

"No, the fact that I'm spending the day with you," he felt my hands. "You're like a diamond in the rough."

"Sean," I placed my hands onto his. "I don't want to give you the wrong idea-"

"Listen, I know you love Nick. But there's always been one thing that I've wanted to accomplish before I go from this world. From the first day I met you, I had this urge to protect you. Then I fell in love with you. Now that I've lost you once, I don't want to lose you again. Please, Scarlett Hansen. Will you become my wife?"