50 | Oblivious

Gosh, I cannot believe it. Chapter 50 ALREADY! I have been writing this book from mid June 2017 to now and I am so shellshocked that I have gotten this far. Yes, I have had a few breaks here and again but in my mind, getting to chapter 50 was never going to happen. But it did! YESSSSSSS!! So enjoy this chapter, just as a thank you for getting this book to over 1k reads.

"Scarlett - are you okay?" Nick looked very concerned. I started to cry hysterically. The thought of Nick becoming an orphan like me was worrying. The pain of losing a mother who you had just found was heartbreaking, but then losing a mother that you didn't even know was so close was even more heart-wrenching.

"Your mother- she was here all along," I started to explain. "Katherine. She was here!"

"My mom? Wait- why?" He looked in denial. "What are you talking about? She's still in LA, right?"

"No, Nick, NO!! Don't you get it?! She's HERE! SHE WAS ALIVE! RIGHT HERE!"

Tears started to fall down his cheeks. I had never seen Nick this upset before. It deeply saddened me to see him this way.

Then I looked over at the prison and it was completely engulfed in flames.

"You need to get that lady help-" I shouted. "I'll be here waiting for you!"

Nick ran to the paramedics. I tried to find somewhere to hide and found a dustbin and jumped into it. As I jumped in, I felt a thud; another person.

"Who is this?" I asked but no reply. Did I kill them?

"Is he gone?" a woman asked. I opened up the bin so some light could come through and I could see her face.

It was Katherine.

"Katherine!" I shouted in relief. "I thought I lost you!"

"Is he gone?" She asked again. I was confused as to who she was talking about.

"Do you mean Nick?" I asked. She also looked confused.

"My son? No! I mean Santos..."

I froze.

"What do you mean, SANTOS?" I could feel my heart beating out of my chest. Katherine looked completely out of it so I knew I should let her be. I waited for Nick for some time.

Quite some time.

A heck of a long time.

Katherine managed to sleep in a dustbin. I felt so nauseous and the smoke was catching up to us.

We had to get out of here before the prison exploded or something.

"Katherine," I shook her. She jumped up in fright, as if she had just had a really bad nightmare. "We've gotta go or we're gonna die here."

I carried her out of the dustbin, her body leaned across my shoulders, just like when we were trying to get out of our cells. Smoke and debris filled the air and we straddled across the prison yard, trying to find an exit even though we could barely see a thing.

We found a fence that had been cut open with what looked like pliers - and both of us scrambled through the fence only to be lead into a forest. We ran past all the trees, trying to dodge the police lights that were spreading in the forest. We stopped near a lake and took a second to catch our breaths. I made sure Katherine was okay - but she wasn't. She looked so lifeless.

I placed her on the prickly grass, and sat beside her. All I could think about was Nick. He went to help the injured woman, but who knows what could have happened to him?! Instead of going to find him, I ran here instead.