33 | My Other Half

"Both of you are siblings," said the nurse. All the shaking had stopped. My face was blank and my body suddenly turned cold. I looked over at Nick, who was looking at the wall. There was nothing else to do here but leave. There was nothing I could do about the fact that Nick and I were related, I just needed to move on. I started to wander off to the door.

"Scarlett," Nick called, his voice shaken up. I turned around. "I wish the best for you and Sean."

I turned back around and kept walking back to the room. I roamed down the empty corridors whilst sobbing. I finally had found Sean's room. He was sitting upright, staring at the clock in the room. I straddled into the room and sat in the chair next to him. Sean could notice that I had been crying and asked me what was wrong.

"Nothing, I'm fine," I lied.

"Where have you been?" he asked.

"I was with Rosita, we were just talking about... some important stuff."

"Rosita came in the room about ten minutes ago, to tell me she was leaving. Don't lie to me, Scarlett."

Okay, now I was fucked. I needed to come up with an excuse that would make Sean stop asking me questions. I didn't want him to know that I was with Nick, otherwise it would just hurt his feelings a lot. Then I thought of something. It was drastic, but I had to do it to let go of all the problems I had had in the past.

"I was out uh... preparing for our eloping tomorrow," I muttered. "I want us to get married tomorrow."

"Tomorrow?" Sean's face lit up. "Scarlett, I don't know how to thank you. You've made my day. But are we going to get married in this hospital?"

"I don't know, we just have to see if they discharge you-"

A doctor opened the door.

"Hello, Mr Nosov, I just wanted to give you the good news. The hospital is letting you be discharged tomorrow. But remember, always take your medication."

"Of course, doctor," Sean replied, overjoyed. He left the room and I smiled faintly. "We're getting married, Scarlett. Soon you'll be Scarlett Nosov."

I fell asleep on the chair, my head rested on Sean's arm. I was dreaming of a future with Nick, the both of us with two kids and one of the way. We had Popita, we had my baby girl and we had another baby boy on the way. If only that really happened. I always dreamed about my future, which reminded me of my mother. I don't know why, but I could still feel her presence. It was like she was still here, right next to me, like she had never left.

I woke up to the sounds of slurping - Sean was slurping a juice box.

"Don't you think you're too old to be drinking a juice box like that?" I asked him, rubbing my itchy eyes.

"You're never too old for anything," he replied. "You've gotta live your life to the fullest."

"You're going home today," I said, whilst stretching. "How do you feel?"

"I feel amazing. Not because I'm going home, but because I get to become your husband today. I really do love you, Scarlett. I'm just hoping that maybe one day, you'll say it back."

The air felt tight for a moment. I rubbed my arms. I looked at my phone and I saw a text message from Rosita that said: "I'll pick you and Sean up at 10." I looked at the clock and it was 9:50. It was close enough.

"I think Rosita should be here - she's picking us up." I told Sean whilst helping him pack his medication into his black duffel bag. We walked outside to the car park and Rosita had just pulled up. She came with Aaron. Aaron hugged Sean tightly and he smiled at me.

"I'm so happy that you and Sean are getting married," Aaron laughed. I smiled back. Sean wanted to take over the wheel, so he hopped into the driver's seat and Rosita and I sat at the back. In the corner of my eye, I could notice a guy just standing my a lamp-post, watching us. I stared at the guy and he acted like he wasn't looking at us and disappears. I hopped into the car and Sean drove Rosita and I to a bridal shop. They both sped off as Rosita and I stepped into a wonderland of dresses. The dresses were so beautiful, they didn't seem real. The assistants picked out a couple of dresses which they thought would suit my body figure, and they finally found that one dress that fit me like a glove. It was an ivory, backless, 1/4 lace dress that had a bit of a flare at the bottom which Rosita had no words for.

I looked into the mirror at myself, and couldn't believe this was me. I straightened out the dress with my hands as I stood on the stool to look in the mirror. I wore the veil over my head, not because it looked good, but because I didn't want Sean to see that shame on my face. Rosita has gotten a text message from Aaron saying that: "We're ready to see the bride."

Rosita had driven me to the local church where I noticed Aaron dressed in a black suit, and Sean stood there in a white suit, looking at me walk down the aisle with loving eyes. I walked very slowly, because I didn't want to trip and fall. I made it to the end and the priest smiled at the both of us. Sean took my hands.

After reciting our vows, it was now the moment of truth. Rosita and Aaron were the witnesses to this wedding, at looked carefully at our every move.

"Sean Nosov, do you take Scarlett Hansen to be your wife, to have and to hold from this day forward, for better or for worse, for richer, for poorer, in sickness and in health, to love and to cherish; from this day forward until death do you part?"

"Yes, I do," Sean answered confidently. I gulped loudly as the priest asked me the same question.

"Scarlett Hansen, do you take Sean Nosov to be your husband, to have and to hold from this day forward, for better or for worse, for richer, for poorer, in sickness and in health, to love and to cherish; from this day forward until death do you part?"

"I-"

---