53 | Knots

"Nick..." I couldn't speak. "Sean's death is still so fresh - I don't think we can-"

"No," he interrupted. "I'm not ready for that kind of commitment either. I was just saying."

Half of me was relieved to hear him say that, but the other half was surprised and saddened to hear that he wasn't ready for commitment. I would have thought that by now Nick would be ready to settle, but I guess I was overthinking it. I included.

"Good," I replied. "So... when do we head out?"

"Soon, I've just gotta make some phone calls," he adjusted the collar on his shirt and smiled. "Want any coffee?"

"Yeah, sure," I stood up. "The more caffeine the better."

As I was walking to the living room, I noticed Katherine emerge from her room, her makeup done, wearing expensive jewels and a nice red dress on.

"Jeez, Katherine," I admired. "You look amazing!"

"After six years in prison, I figured looking nice wouldn't hurt," she smiled. "Stacy helped me."

My smile was weak as I heard her name, but she did a good job with the makeup. Katherine looked totally unrecognisable.

I sat on the couch, hearing all the cars pass by on the street and the clinks of the spoon hitting the sides of the mug.

"Here," Nick handed me the coffee. I blew on it.

"So what's the plan?" Nick asked. "You get your daughter and then what?"

"Head back to LA," I replied. "I can't stay here any longer."

"Scarlett, there's a little problem with that," Nick looked worried.

"What??"

"I know my friend took your face off the news this morning, but if you are travelling, there are police at the airport that look for convicts. And you're well known as being Andrei Petrova's daughter. I just don't want to risk you going to jail."

"So do I have to clear my name?! How am I meant to do that?"

"We're going to the Russian Roulette's warehouse to get your baby AND to find evidence that you're not responsible for Sean's death."

"Okay," I took a deep breath. "But what about your mom? How is she going to get back to the US?"

"I'll figure it out," Nick looked outside. "I always do."

"Nick, my main objective coming here was to get revenge on Jackson. For everything he's done to me. Before, I didn't mind killing him, but now, I don't see how it's worth it."

"I mean, he is your baby's father," he nodded his head. "But he killed my brother. And I can't let that slide."

"I know," I sighed. "But you can get revenge without killing. I don't want Victoria growing up with so many questions like I did. She deserves to know who her father is."

Then Katherine walked into the living room, looking stunning.

"Wow, mom," Nick gushed. "You used to dress like this when I was younger. You really don't look a day over 48."

"Nickolas!" Katherine laughed.

"It's nice to see that smile again," Nick smiled. It really was. Katherine's smile lit up a room; she reminded me of my mother which made me tear up a little. My mother was an amazing woman and I'd give anything to have her back. 

I would definitely tell Victoria stories about her grandmother, and why I gave her her grandmother's name. I couldn't wait for the day that I could share all the stories with my daughter. 

I took sips of the coffee that Nick made me and took deep breaths as I thought about rescuing my daughter. I was anxious about how this was going to play out.

"I think it's time," Nick grabbed the keys to his car. "Let's go get your daughter."

Stacy, Nick and I jumped into the car and sped off. Nick had forced his mother to stay home and be safe. Nick and Stacy were at the front of the car and I was at the back. Surprisingly, Stacy wasn't all over Nick like she used to be. She was composed, calm and focused.

As we pulled up to the Russian Roulette's base, I felt knots in my stomach and tried to breathe properly. I could just imagine Victoria in there, her beautiful little chubby face.

A man with a gun approached the gate and took one glance at Nick and knew we were coming to cause trouble.

"What do you want Nickolas?" they asked, definitely suspicious. 

"I came to visit my brother, my niece and my best friend. Got a problem with that?" Nick replied.

"Where's the boss?" The man asked. "She went out last night without telling anyone and hasn't returned."

"I have no idea," Nick smiled. "I don't have any business with Luna anymore."

Nick rolled his eyes. "Can you just let us in? Please?"

"Who's in the car?" The man knocked on my tinted window. I rolled down the window and smiled.

"Recognise me?" I asked. He gasped.

"Petrova's daughter. I gotta say, not everyone here is a fan."

"I'm aware of that," I replied. I felt Nick slip a gun in my left hand. I knew what was about to go down. "You know, spending a couple days in prison didn't really win Russia over either."

"Hmm," he looked up and down. It really looked like he was low-key flirting with me. "You look hot for an ex-con."

"Well, I'm technically still a convict," I bit my finger. "If you come closer I can tell you all the details about how I got out - you know - in case you end up in the same situation."

I bit my lips, luring him in. Then as he came in, I grabbed the knife and plunged it into his neck. Nick stepped on the accelerator as fast as he could. I watched the man gurgle on his own blood and then fall to his death. This was someone who was keeping my daughter captive and wouldn't let me rescue her, so I guess you could say I was justified.

"Seeing you flirt with him was kind of annoying," said Nick. I don't know if he really meant that, or if he was just saying it for the sake of it. You could never really tell with Nick.

We stopped inside one of the garages, and the sound of a baby wailing overcame me. 

It was Victoria.

"She's here!" I shouted. Stacy and Nick stepped out with their guns and had them out, ready to shoot. I stood behind Nick since I didn't have a weapon and we stood silently, waiting for someone to come out.

"Scarlett?" A familiar voice called. 

Rosita.