Chapter: 2

Post-Party Reflections

As the revelry of the party subsided, my parents, along with uncle and aunty, embraced me, bidding me goodnight. Yet, amidst the quietude, a covert exchange transpired between my dad and me. "Tomorrow is a long day; you have somewhere to go, right?" he whispered. Swiftly, I assured him, "Yes, Dad, don't worry. I can manage."

A tender kiss on my forehead sealed our understanding, and he retired to his bedroom. Rohit, my ever-mischievous cousin, and I ventured toward my room. Curiosity brimming, I queried, "Why do you plan such horrifying surprises?"

He chuckled in response, "To scare you!"

I retorted with a smirk, "Big joke. Anyway, let me change my damp clothes."

"Okay," he agreed. As I headed to the bathroom, his phone rang. "Hey dude, what's up!" I overheard him conversing, presumably with a college friend named Rahul, about plans for the next day and an impending theme discussion.

Changed and outside the bathroom, I settled on the bed, leaning against the wall, pillow on my lap. Inquisitive, I asked Rohit about the call and his plans for the following day.

Casually scrolling on his smartphone, he explained, "Rahul's brother's sangeet. Need to plan for the theme and decorations."

My initial irritation surfaced. "Rohit, when did you become so secretive? You're hiding things from me. I thought I'm your best friend, more than just your sister."

His reaction was unexpected; he stood up, anger evident. "You drama queen, I can keep secrets if you can."

Perplexed, I questioned, "What secrets have I kept from you?"

His frustration spilled out, "Every year, you go to Mahabaleshwar. You never take me, never reveal who you meet there, what you do. I'm left alone. The day you end your secret life, I'll end mine."

His words struck a chord; I felt a pang of remorse. "Bhai, I'm sorry. I can't share the secret now. It's between me and paa. Once he allows, I'll let you know, okay?"

"Fine, I'll do the same," he declared, heading to his room without a goodnight wish. It left me feeling disheartened as I pondered the events.

The next day arrived, and I greeted everyone with a cheerful "Good morning!" Aunt complimented, "You look lovely, Princess."

"Thank you, badi mom. Love you!" I replied, embracing her. Yet, Mom, sensing an underlying tension, probed, "What's going on between both of you? Yesterday, you were enjoying, and now you're fighting. I've told both of you to stop fighting; you're grown-ups."

A silent plea passed between Dad and me. He took us to the garden, advising Rohit to be patient and understanding. Dad's reassurance to Rohit and acknowledgment of my growing maturity eased the tension. As he left, Rohit and I sat on a bench, yet he remained fuming, avoiding eye contact.

Determined to mend the rift, I decided to share the secret. "Bro, when I was in 5th grade, I went to Mahabaleshwar. There, I saw girls in distress, half-naked. Dad and I gave them clothes from mom's bag. Dad had bought them for her but chose to help those girls instead."

Inquisitive, Rohit asked about the fate of those girls. I recounted a harrowing tale of their brutal assault by goons, how they were left in fear, and their orphaned status. Dad, empathetic to their plight, had turned the place into an orphanage for girls, an initiative our company supported.

Rohit's emotional response led to another revelation; he wasn't aware of my annual visits to Mahabaleshwar. Hurt, he confronted me about my supposed secret life. I apologized, explaining that it was a secret between Dad and me, promising to share when permitted.

Despite the tension, the day progressed, and my birthday celebrations coincided with gifts and clothes sent to the girls at the orphanage. That night, sleep eluded me as I mulled over the day's revelations.

The following morning, I bid goodbye to everyone, promising to return in four days. Rohit, still upset, expressed his wish for me to return if any problem arose. I chuckled, assuring him. As Rohit drove me to the station, our conversation delved into the reason for my boarding school choice — a reflection of my connection to the girls in Mahabaleshwar.

Amid our banter, I teased Rohit about being gay with his friend Rahul, and he responded with playful laughter. At the station, Rohit bid me farewell, and as the train departed, I overheard a conversation.

Stay tuned for the continuation of Anju's journey.

Bye, and take care.