Chapter: 14

Anju's Perspective

The anticipation for the first day of college swirled within me as I prepared for the journey ahead.

"Son, come soon. Breakfast is ready," Mom called out.

"Yeah, I am coming, Maa!" I replied, hurrying towards the dining area.

To my surprise, Rohit was already engrossed in his breakfast. The table was adorned with an array of delights—parathas, juices, and fruits that seemed fit for a feast.

"Mom, what's all this? It's too much. Are we expecting guests?" I questioned, bewildered by the grand spread.

Mom chuckled, "No, son. This is all for you both."

Rohit and I, in unison, protested, "No way!"

Rohit added, "Mom, I can't eat this much. Two parathas are sufficient for me."

Badi mom intervened, "Son, eat the fruits as well. Have the juice, and then you can leave."

Rohit, with an air of frustration, retorted, "Mom, I don't eat fruits, and you know that. I'm not going for a fashion show, and I'm not pursuing acting to look beautiful. Anju is free; you can ask her."

Badi mom, determined, stated, "Both of you have to."

Mom, concerned about my appearance, remarked, "Anju, what's this? Didn't you have a shower today? Loosen your hair. Come on, dear, follow my instructions."

I hesitated, "Please don't, Maa. I am hiding from someone, that's why all this. I'll let you know when I come back home today. Also, I won't eat this much."

Badi mom insisted, "You both have to."

Rohit sighed, "Sorry, Mom, I have to go."

Rohit turned to me, "Anju, dear, let's go. We have our lectures. We can't be late," and swiftly exited.

Badi mom exclaimed, "Rohit!"

Ignoring her, he headed outside. Badi mom grumbled, "This boy has no manners. Why can't he listen to me? It's for his good health, and that's why I'm insisting. Let him come home; I'll talk to him."

Confused about the unfolding drama, I pondered my next move. Rohit was waiting outside, and I had to hurry to catch up. I couldn't consume so much food at the moment; my priority was reaching college on time. The discussions with the moms would have to wait until the evening.

"Mom, sorry, I have to go. Bye," I hurriedly uttered before rushing out of the house, oblivious to her continued words.

In the open, Rohit awaited with his bike. I quickly took a seat on the back, and we zoomed towards the college.

Rohit maintained a brooding silence throughout the journey. Upon reaching the college, he guided me to my classroom, where Tanu was eagerly waiting.

"Hii, Tanu!" I greeted, embracing her.

"Hii, Anju. Let's go inside quickly. The professor will arrive any moment now," Tanu urged.

"Okay," I replied.

"Okay, bye. I also need to reach my classroom as soon as possible," Rohit said, vanishing from our sight.

Tanu and I said our goodbyes and entered the classroom. A curious gaze enveloped me as people stared. Confused by the attention, I took a seat on the second row, second bench. On an adjacent bench, two girls giggled and stared. I raised an eyebrow and rolled my eyes in response.

The professor initiated a seemingly never-ending lecture on industry sectors, small and large scale. The disinterested audience resorted to scrolling through their smartphones or engaging in side conversations. The bell eventually rescued us from the tedious discourse, signaling the commencement of the next lecture.

However, an unexpected announcement echoed through the speakers. "Students are requested to gather at the Auditorium immediately. There is an important announcement to be made." The female voice repeated the announcement multiple times, prompting Tanu and me to exchange confused glances.

"What could the announcement be?" I wondered aloud.

"Let's find out. I have no idea either," Tanu responded.

We packed our bags, and as Rahul and Rohit entered the classroom, Tanu approached Rahul with the inquiry, "Rahul, what's the announcement for?"

"The announcement of the winner. Hurry up," Rahul replied.

Tanu nodded, and we swiftly made our way to the auditorium. The entire college population had congregated, eagerly awaiting the impending announcement. The professors, along with the Principal, were yet to arrive.

When the Principal finally graced the stage, he commenced with his speech. "Good morning, students. I appreciate your prompt presence. Due to an important meeting with the Trustees, I missed yesterday's match. I apologize for that. I'm pleased to announce that, based on discussions with the Trustees, we plan to host a grand Inter-College Meet next year. Students from various colleges will participate in this event, promoting unity within the state. Certificates and rewards will be awarded for outstanding performances. You may commence practice after the final examinations. Meanwhile, we'll focus on enhancing our infrastructure and addressing other vital aspects. Furthermore, I'm delighted to declare the Commerce team, led by Rahul, as the winner of yesterday's basketball match. Miraj's team will face a one-week suspension due to their cheating and the injuries inflicted upon Rahul's teammates. Thank you for today. Additionally, there will be no lectures today as we have a meeting to discuss the event for next year. Take care. Bye."

The Principal, along with the professors, proceeded to a conference room for further discussions. Students, elated at the prospect of a lecture-free day, cheered.

"Hi, Anjali," a girl in a burkha greeted as she approached.

Rohit introduced, "Anju, she is Mannat, our classmate."

"Hi, nice to meet you," I responded.

Mannat, a vision of beauty with a pure heart, reciprocated, "Nice to meet you too."

Rohit playfully remarked, "You know she's a tough competitor of Rahul."

Rahul, tapping Rohit on the head, sighed.

Curious about the competition, I inquired, "What competition?"

Tanu clarified, "Studies."

"Oh!" I chuckled along with the others.

Miraj, accompanied by his team, approached with a confrontational tone, "You cheater! You won because of a girl. We would have won if she wasn't there."

Rahul, about to retaliate, was halted by me, "Let me handle this."

Addressing Miraj, I asserted, "Mr. Miraj Raichand, firstly, the match was between Arts and Commerce, two distinct departments. Secondly, there was no stipulation that this was a boys-only match; girls can play too. So, you have no grounds to label us as cheaters. As for me, I'm a new member of the Commerce department since yesterday, so you cannot impede us or claim cheating."

Miraj retorted, "This is cheating."

"You're afraid of girls; that's why you can't handle the loss. But you can cheat, bribe the referee, appoint goons, and injure fellow students. That, my friend, is cheating," I declared.

Miraj dismissed my arguments with a disdainful laugh, and his cronies began chanting, "Cheaters! Cheaters!"

As tension escalated, students surrounded us, their anger palpable.

Rahul, ready to confront Miraj, proposed, "If you think yesterday's match was cheating, then let's settle this on the basketball court. You and me, 15 minutes, the person with the most baskets wins. The winner will represent the college in all Inter-College events. Deal?"

Miraj agreed, "Okay, done."

As the realization dawned on us that another basketball game loomed, fraught with potential for cheating and injury, our collective frustration reached its peak. No way would we allow a repeat of the previous day's events.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Hii.. frnds.. Hope you liked this chapter too..

Please share, vote and comment..

Take care.. Bye..