There's More to you than Meets the Eye

You quickly rush out the door, trying to get out of there as quick as possible. You couldn't take one more second. Not one more second in that stuffy studio with those sweaty boys and Kaya. Stupid. Freaking. Kaya.

"Ugh!" You groan as you shove open the exit door. Eight O' clock and your FINALLY free.

Kayas words sing in your head. "You and Thomas seem to have been getting along well." "You'll never be with Thomas. You two are too different. He's someone and you're no one. Might as well go ahead and face it."

You wished you could punch her in the face. You are storming off to your car when you finally break. You choke out a sob. She's so right. No one ever has been more right than her. There is no way Thomas likes you. It's not that he doesn't like you that way that bothers you - it's that Kaya wants him. It's that Kaya will eventually have him. After this you'll continue to be an extra and they'll both be big famous actors.

You lean against the brick wall outside. You shoulders shudder. You're glad you came out the back way. You wrap your sweater around you firmly, feeling the biting night air. And you shamelessly cry.

You accept that you will never get Tom out of your head. You don't accept that you'll see him continue to live life without you.

Suddenly off to your left you hear the back door open, "Hey, Iris! We never got to finish-"

Tom stops in his tracks. He's seen you crying. No. You quickly turn and walk at top speed towards your Volkswagen.

"Iris, wait!" You hear him call. You try your best to walk even faster without tripping but then you hear Thomas start jogging and you know he'll catch up to you eventually. You start to pass an ally way.

That's when someone knocks into you. And it's not Thomas.

Your purse WAS tightly wrapped on your shoulder, but now it's in your hand and a masked mans hand. And he's trying to yank it away from you but somehow you manage to magically hold onto it.

All your anger, all your rage comes out in one thrash. You punch the man as hard as possible in the face. And hit him squarely in the nose.

CRACK. *groan* Blood. Screaming.

And then the man runs away and Thomas stands there stunned.

We're both breathing heavily. You don't even understand what happened in the last twenty-four hours. You just know that you've had enough and you are tired and you want to understand somethingsomething you feel for once.

You don't even realize how it happened but suddenly you're on your knees and your face is in your hands and you can't see the stars anymore you just see cracks of light from inbetween your fingers. Your face feels wet and hot and you feel warm strong arms around you.

"Shhhh. It's okay sweetheart. It's fine. You're okay. I'm here and I'm going to take care of you."

You let yourself melt into him. You cry until there are no more tears left to cry. You feel dry inside. Your heart feels dry your brain feels dry, your throat feels dry.

Finally you stop crying. And he hasn't let you go for one second. And you appreciate your friend more than ever right now. You sniffle and your muscles relax and he takes that as a sign that he can pull away.

One of his hands is placed on your shoulder, the other on your cheek so that his thumb wipes away the last few tears.

You take a shakey breath, "Tom...." Your voice sounds scratchy.

"Hey," he looks you in the eyes, "What happened?"

You shake your head and chuckle darkly, "Life." You say it simply. Nothing could be more clear. Life happened all the time when things got good.. Life gave and took dreams away because it could.