Talk and Text

You and Thomas had been talking more than ever lately.

Not that you minded or anything.

You finish getting ready. You're going hiking today. You love hiking and nature and fresh air. You wear just a comfy T-shirt and flexible pants with hiking shoes. You grab a banana on the way out the door.

You're going hiking by yourself. You do this on a regular basis. It helps you get out of the work stress area of your life. You get in your Volkswagen and throw on some sunglasses and a cap.

Nice. You look very sporty.

You take a sip of your water before you pull out of your apartment complex. You pass art centers and the car sales place where you bought your car. The radio station a daycare center, a museum. You could go on and on. This is why you love where you live. There's always a lot going on. No one seems to know your buisness.

Your phone rings. At this point you have a specific ring tone for Thomas. That's the one that's ringing. Normally you don't answer your phone while driving. You don't like to talk and text when you drive. But you want to talk to him....a little voice in your head nags at you not to answer. You ignore it. You smile and grab your phone, "Hi."

"Good morning." Thomas says, "You're being all athletic today correct?"

"Yep." You say popping the p. You've taken up that habit Thomas has.

Thomas groans, "I want to go hiking."

"Yeah. Ha ha. This is what you get for being such a darn good actor!"

"Yeah. Ha. Ha. Anyway, I was wondering -"

You spot something out of the corner of your eye. Speeding toward you and it's not stopping. You throw on your breaks but you're not fast enough. It collides into you and you feel a floating sensation and then land hard, hitting your head against something. Your head feels fuzzy and your vision is blurry as you try to focus on something. You make a sound, somewhere in between a gasp and a cry and a scream. You hear Thomas yell, "Iris!"

And then everything goes black.

- - - -

Thomas POV:

Thomas curses and shoves his phone in his pocket along with his key card. He runs to the door and bursts though. He opts not to take the elevator, it'll be too slow.

He goes to Dylan first.

Pounding on his door he yells, "Dylan! Come on, man! Open the door! Iris is in trouble!"

The door to Dylan's room is thrown open. Dylan is still in his pajamas and his hair is wild, he looks like he just woke up but his eyes are wild, "What are you talking about?"

"She was driving and we were talking on the phone and I heard her crash and I heard her scream and then the line went dead! We have to do something! What do we do?"

Dylan's mind works quickly, "We go find her. Where was she going?"

"Hiking." Thomas says. He feels like crying. Sobbing. Shamelessly weeping and pounding his fist on the floor. His eyes burn and the back of his throat swells. Right now he's not even ashamed to admit it. This was his fault. If he hadn't been talking to her while she was driving, then this wouldn't have happened.

"Okay. Did she say where?" Dylan asks impatiently.

"No." Thomas says in despair. Then it hit's him, "But I have a good idea of who will."

"Good. We're going to wake up all the guys. And we're all going to go out and look for her okay?"

"Okay, okay." Thomas says nodding.