Talk it Up

You stand frozen in shock. Then you collapse to the ground. Around you, you hear the buzz of people talking to you, but the sound is muffled. You can't fathom it.

"Iris."

"Iris!"

"IRIS?"

"IRIS!?"

It's as if you could not possibly feel any pain right now. Your insides are numb. All you can think about is Thomas. And the unfeelable pain hurts so badly, you see not only your life flash before your eyes, but his as well.

You see him when he was young. Then when you met. The first time he called you pretty. The time he hugged you in your kitchen. When he asked you out. Your first date. Your first kiss. When he showed up at your house when you thought he was in London.

And then there is something worse.

You see him holding a small bundle, joy in his eyes. He smiles at you and asks, "You want to hold her?" He smiles at the child in his arms, "You want to see your Mummy? Your new Mummy?"

You see him at a graduation. And family reunions. And just smiling. You see as he gets older. Finally to the point where he's old and gray, but he still has that happy light in his eyes. And then you see him at a grave. With your name written on the stone. He looks down at it with tears in his eyes, "I guess it was time my beautiful flower was buried. But, darling, you can only grow from there. Flowers belong in the ground. For people to enjoy. It was better than the misery you were going through at the hospital anyway....." He starts to walk away, but then he stops and looks back at you, "You alone, are the most magnificent garden, one will ever see."

Then you snap back into the present gasping.

You realize you're laying on the ground. Juliette looks down at you, tears of distress in her eyes. Your phone is up to her ear.

"She's going to want to come Dylan. She's still in shock right now, but of I know my sister, I know she's as stubborn as everything. She'll be on the first plane. You just watch." Juliette says into the phone.

You dizzily push yourself up, "I've got to go."

"Iris!" Sidney stops you, grabbing your arm.

"SIDNEY, MY HUSBAND HAS BEEN SHOT! I NEED TO GET TO HIM!"

Juliette grabs your arm, "Iris, Sidney is only trying to help-"

"BUT SHE'S NOT! I NEED TO GET TO MY HUSBAND NOW!" You yell.

Sidney looks slightly hurt, but understanding. Kit mutters to her, "She didn't mean it. She's just...."

Juliette holds the phone to her chest, "Iris, Dylan says not to come!"

You blink, "What?"

"Dylan says not to come." Juliette repeats, "He says he'll take care of Thomas."

You chuckle and mutter, "Yeah, right."

"Iris-" Juliette starts.

"What did he say about Thomas?" You cut her off.

Juliette sighs, "We should go home and figure things out."

"We should figure them out NOW." You say.

Juliette snaps at you, "If you want to get to your husband, you'll need your suitcase and you'll have to change your flight. We're going home. End of story. Everyone in the car. I'm driving."

Everyone goes to the car and Thalia pulls you along. You get shoved in the backseat.

Juliette talks as she drives, "It was a drive by shooting. The guys were out, Dylan and Thomas still weren't talking to each other, when this black truck comes pulling out of a parking lot with his window down and a gun out. He wore a do-rag and had tattoos. He just started randomly shooting. All the guys ducked, but Thomas still got shot."