Driving Lessons

(Iris is nine years old, Percy eleven, Sidney eight)

Uncle Sanders turns onto the empty long road. No one is ever out in this forest. That's why you, Percy, Sidney and Juliette like it so much. Juliette is sick today though, so she didnt come. There's an old general store about ten minutes down the road that the four of you like to eat at after hiking. You're on your way to that general store right now.

Or so you thought.

Uncle Sanders pulls over to the side of the road. He turns around in his seat, "Driving lessons!"

Your heart sparks as you grin, "Really!?"

"Yeah." He shrugs as he unbuckles, "Percy first."

"Oh, no! Not Percy! He's gonna crash!" You exclaim.

"Shouldn't we ask Mom first?" Sidney asks.

"I will not crash, i'm eleven. You have more of a chance at crashing than I do."

The three of you start talking over each other.

"You are too going to crash."

"What if one of us crashes, Dad?"

"Will we be sued?"

"You can't be sued for crashing your own car, dumby!"

"Well, what if Iris crashes it?"

"Mom and Dad wouldnt sue Iris! She's nine! And we're related."

"Yeah, well, Cane and Able were related, you see how that turned out."

"What does that have to do with anything?"

"Kids!" Your Uncle Sanders says, getting out of the car, "No ones going to crash. I'm TEACHING you how to work a car. You'll be fine."

"Not if Percy crashes." You mutter.

Percy looks back at you as he gets out of the passenger seat, "Your face is going to crash."

"You guys are acting really mature." Sidney says.

"Whatever." You roll your eyes.

Percy slides into the drivers seat and Uncle Sanders into the passengers. Percy laughs, "This is so cool."

"Oh, my gosh. Percy is going to crash." Sidney whispers next to you.

You grin, "Fast and Furious, Perc."

He looks back at you, smirking.

Your Uncle instructs him, "Now put your left foot there....and your right foot on the peddle....when you're ready lightly push down on the peddle and it'll movie forward. Push the other peddle when you want to stop."

The car starts to move forward and Percy shoves down on the breaks. You and Sidney squeal from the back seat.

"HOLY CRAP! WE MOVED!" Percy smile.

You laugh, feeling giddy.

"DON'T STOP LIKE THAT, PERCY!" Sidney yells.

Percy smiles and laughs, pushing forward again. The car moves forward until it's going fourty miles an hour. Percy whoops in the front seat. You laugh in the back. Sidney sits next to you, clinging to her seat belt nervously. Uncle Sanders grins, "Okay. I think that's enough. Why dont you stop and let Iris have a turn?"

"Alright." Percy says, gentely pushing the breaks down. He pulls off to the side of the road and unbuckles. Before he gets out he looks back at you, "That was seriously fun."

You smile widely as you get out of the car and jump into the drivers seat. You heart beats quickly as Uncle Sanders gives you the same instructions he gave Percy.

Finally, he says, "Give it a go."

You bite your lip, grinning. You push the peddle down and smile even wider as the car starts forward.

"ZERO TO SIXTY, IRIS!" Percy encourages from the backseat.

You take a quick mischevious glance back at him. He shares the same mischevious look with you.

"Here we go." You mutter.

"Iris...." Sanders says, suspiciously.

You push the gas a lot faster than you shouldve. Percy laughs in the backseat. Even Uncle Sanders laughs next to you. That's the good thing about Sanders. It's just fun and games with him. Sidney squeaks a little, soon you're going fifty miles an hour down the long road. No one is here. And gosh, it feels great. A feeling of flying as the trees breeze by the car. You crow, "WHOAAAA!"

Uncle Sanders chuckles after a few minutes, "Sidneys turn."

You slow the car down and pull off to the side, just like Percy had. You quickly jump out of the drivers seat and jump up and down. Your heart feels like it's going to beat out of your chest.

Sidney walks over to you, "I'm scared."

You smile at her, "It was so fun! Dont worry. You have total control over it."

She takes a breath and slides into the drivers seat. You smile and crawl into the backseat, sitting next to Percy. As Uncle Sanders explains how to drive to Sidney, you and Percy talk.

He smiles, "How was it?"

You smile back, "It felt like flying."

"I can't wait to get my license. And go to high school." He says, wistfully.

"Me either." You say.

The car presses forward. You and Percy share a grin. Sidney reaches twenty miles an hour....and stays there.

"Come on, Sid! It's so fun!" You encourage.

"Don't be a wimp, Sidney!" Percy says.

"It's my first time driving!" She says.

"You drive like an old lady having a heart attack." Percy says.

"You ARE an old lady having a heart attack." Sidney fires back.

You laugh and Percy scowls at you, which only make you laugh harder. Sidney drives slowly for a few more minutes bafroe your uncle says, "Okay, guys. How about some lunch?"

"YES!" Percy yells.

You smile and nod.

"Want to pull over, Sid?" Sanders asks.

"Yeah." She nods.

Sidney pulls over and Uncle Sanders gets back in the drivers seat.

And the four of you are off to the general store.