Roof of the World

"Ready to get on the plane, babe!?" Thomas says, excitedly bouncing on the balls of his feet.

"Oh, yeah. Totally." You say, feeling yourself flush.

He chuckles, "Still afraid of heights...."

"Shut up." You smirk, nudging him with your elbow.

The man in front of you moves and the two of you step forward, handing the flight attendant your tickets.

Cold air blasts you as you walk through the tunnel and onto the plane. You nearly trip when boarding. Thomas shoves your duffle bag in the overhead containers. He insisted on first class seats.

He glances back at you, "Want the window seat?"

You shadow your eyes, "Funny."

He chuckles and plops down, you sit next to him. You quickly pull out by our phone and switch it to airplane mode before you start to settle in. You've closed your eyes, listening to the bustle of people going by, when you feel warm air on your cheek.

You crack your eyes open and look to your right. Thomas cranes his neck, his nose just an inch from your cheek.

"I might have to murder you." You mutter.

He smirks, "I might have to marry you."

You click your tounge, "You've always got to turn things around and make em' all romantic."

He grins, "That is one of the good things about me."

You smirk, "I can't complain, I guess."

"I love you." He whispers.

"I love you too."

The announcer comes on the intercom. Saying the same old stuff, "Be sure to buckle up for your own safety. If the plane lights come on, be sure to use the air bags. If you'll look at your closest attended they'll show you how to put it on."

A woman holds up the bag with the yellow plastic at the end.

"Remember, if you're riding with children, put yours on first, then help your child. Make sure all your bags are secure in the cubby's above you. Shift happens."

This erupts a series of chuckles and horrified gasps up and down the aisles. You, however, laugh along with Thomas.

The woman continues speaking, obviously proud of herself, "Thank you, and have a nice flight."

Thomas turns to you, "Here we go."

The plane starts to pull forward, picking up speed as it moves along the concrete walkway. You feel as if you're going a hundred miles an hour. Then the plane picks up, and you have a momentary feeling of weightlessness. That's always your favorite part of the flight. The take offs. It's an amazing feeling.

Thomas quietly shrieks. You get higher and higher and you take a chance of looking out the window. Below city lights sparkle in the cool night air. They blurr in the airplanes windows as you circle the sleepy city.

"Look, Iris. We're on the roof of the world." Thomas mutters, looking out the window in awe, "No matter how many times I fly, I still think it's amazing. Especially, flying at night. See those lights? There are people down there. Going on about their daily lives. It's just another day for them. But another adventure for us. They're going to go home from work, eat , be with their family and then go to bed. We're going to be up late. Feel the jet lag. Enjoy the difference. Have a good time."