Big Red Sun

You try not to miss him so much. But in the end you still do.

You stand over your kitchen sink, looking out the window. You have to go to work soon. But for now, you're enjoying the sunset. The sun is big and red. You can see the heat waves radiating off of it. It reminds you of the last book in The Maze Runner series. The Death Cure. And The Flare. All of that stuff.

Your cellphone rings.

The Thomas ring.

You grin and excitedly answer, "Hey, Tommy!"

"Hey flower!" He's smiling. You know it.

"What's up?"

He sighs, "Oh, nothing. I'm at my sisters house. We're on the way to the market right now. Got to buy some grocery's. Here, Ava, say hi."

You guess he hands the phone off to Ava.

"Hello?" Ava says. Her voice is light and cheerful. Much like Thomas'.

"Hey, is this Ava?" You say nervously.

"Yeah. Is this Iris?" She asks.

"Yes! It's such a pleasure to....kind of meet you. Over the phone, you know?"

You hear Ava laugh, "Yeah. No worries, I'm sure we'll meet in person someday. Thomas talks about you so bloody much." She teases her brother.

"Okay, I think you've had enough embarrassing big brother time." You hear Thomas in the background.

Ava chuckles, "Okay. Bye, Iris! It was good to talk to you."

Thomas takes the phone back, "Yeah. Sorry about that."

You laugh, "No, it's totally fine. Really. Ours sisters are going to have loads of fun talking to each other if they ever meet."

"I don't doubt that." Thomas mutters.

You glances back out your window, "What does the sun look like where you are?"

"Um, round and yellow...." Thomas says slowly.

"The sun here is really pretty. You would like it. It's all big and red."

"The big red sun, eh? Sounds like a movie. Maybe one day we'll both be big and famous and direct a movie and call it that."

You chuckle, "What do you mean, 'one day'? You're already big and famous."

"I mean bigger. And more famous. Recognized more, you know?" He says.

"Uh-huh. Sure. Because you're not getting a TON of publicity for The Maze Runner movie." You joke.

"Eh, whatever. We can have dreams you know."

Your mind flashes back to the unusual dream you had only days ago, " Yeah." You mutter.

There's a pause as both of you think.

"Shall we play questions?" Thomas asks.

"Sure. Me first?"

"As always."

"How are you helping the earth?" You asks mischeviously.

Thomas is quiet for a minute. You suppose he's thinking.

"You mean like being conservative?" He asks. Your inner mind can see his eyebrows furrowing.

"Just like that."

"Erm....I take short showers." He says a hint of confusion in his voice.

In the background you hear Ava laugh and says something unintelligible.

"Oh, shut up, Ava." You hear Thomas mutter.

You silently laugh, "Your turn."

Thomas thinks, "Okay, what's your favorite season?"

You hardly have to think about it, "Winter."

"Really? You always complain about being cold though."

"I don't complain. I STATE that I'm cold. There's a difference. I love the cold and the winter -with the right amount of layering, of course. I love the snow and the ice. I love walking in the woods when it's cold. I love snowball fights and snowmen. I love everything about winter." You ramble.

"Hmmmm. Good to know." Thomas says thoughtfully.

You look back out the window. The sun is just kissing the horizon.

And then you glance at the clock.

Oh no.

"CRAP! I've got to go, I'm going to be late for work!" You exclaim.

"Okay. I'll talk to you later. Oh, and - Drive. Carefully." He says sternly.

"I will. You call me later, got it? Bye!"

You hang up before he can say goodbye.

You rush to your shoes, snatch your purse and head out the door.

Author:

Let's just start off by saying - OVER FOUR THOUSAND READS! (Close to five thousand that this point)

348 VOTES!

AND 138 COMMENTS!!!!

YAY!

Thank you guys so much for liking this story! And for commenting how much you love it, it's a real confidence booster.

Sorry the chapters have been so short lately. It's kinda hard working with people in two different places.

Anyway,

I HAD THE MOST FABULOUS IDEA FOR THIS CURRENT STORY AND I CAN'T WAIT TO WRITE IT!!!!

I'm addicted to writing this story. Not that I'm complaining. :-)

I hope you enjoyed this chapter!

COMMENT.

VOTE.

FOLLOW.

-Sunny