Charles Smith: A Little Too Much Part 2

Charles Smith X Female Reader

Summary: You start to push Charles away again, denying any feeling you might have for him, but he sees right through your act and refuses to let you go.

Word Count: 4200

Charles watched you from across the camp, not obvious enough to be noticeable by anyone else. You were sharpening your knife, completely minding your own business but Charles was willing to bet that nobody would be able to sneak up on you.

Ever since you joined the gang, you had been a mystery to everyone. You never shared anything about your past with anyone, other than the few insights you had offered Charles, maybe that was why he thought that he was actually getting through to you. He thought that he was getting closer to you, that you were opening up to him, but now you just seemed further away from him than ever.

Charles wasn't sure how to approach you again, he didn't know how to make amends, but he just couldn't stop thinking about that night by the campfire.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~

You didn't move, only stared at him like an idiot, as he reached out and tucked a strand of loose hair behind your ear. It was such a gentle and unfamiliar touch to you that you almost wanted to flinch away from it, another part of you craving to lean into it. You do neither.

You just kept watching him and it seems that he was watching you, trying to tell whether you would allow his next move or punch him in the face. You weren't even sure.

Charles lent in but you remained still, waiting. Then his lips were on yours, softer than you imagined, not that you had imagined it. His hand cupped your jaw gently and the kiss was even gentler, even as you began to kiss him back.

Finally, you were able to move again. And, surprising yourself, you lent into him. One of your hands rested on the log you were sitting on, supporting your weight, while your other hand landed on the back of Charles' neck, holding him a little closer as he kiss became more sure of itself. His hair was soft between your fingers and it worried you. You were worried that you liked it a little too much, all of this, all of Charles. You were worried that you liked him a little too much.

In one horrific moment, everything came crashing down around you. You couldn't do this. You placed your hands on his shoulders and pushed against him, pulling away from the kiss. Charles was watching you as carefully as he was before, trying to read your mind. You stood from the log and cleared your throat.

"Y/n?" Charles stood as well and you hated how his voice sounded, like he was trying not to scare away an animal. Is that what he thought of you? Afraid and easy to scare off? Fuck him.

"Don't" you snapped, surprising yourself even if you didn't show it. "Just stay away from me from now on" you told him before storming off.

You left the camp that night, Charles had no idea where you went but he knew better than to follow you. He just sighed and sat back down, unable to stop thinking about the harshness of your tone.

Just for a moment Charles thought that he was breaking down the walls you had built over your lifetime but, in just once instance, they shot right back up. He just hoped that this wasn't the end

~ ~ ~ ~ ~

It was more than obvious that you were avoiding Charles, at least it was to him. To every other member of the gang, you were just treating him the way that you treated everyone else, but he knew better.