So That Was It

Cultivators could use the power of heaven and earth to travel a thousand miles in a flash. In less than half a day, the group had arrived at a small town near Shangqing Sect. This was with Wenren È lowering his speed to wait for Yin Hanjiang; otherwise, he could've arrived in fifteen minutes.

Cultivation stages in this world were split into nine stages—Qi Gathering, Qi Refining, Foundation Establishment, Core Formation, Nascent Soul, Deity Transformation, Body Unity, Void Boundary, and Mahayana. Each stage had nine levels. After you broke through the ninth level of the Mahayana stage, the heavens would send down a tribulation, and if you passed that you could ascend to the immortal realm. It's said that immortals were also split into Wandering Immortal, Heavenly Immortal, Golden Immortal, Great Golden Immortal, Immortal Lord, and Immortal Emperor. After breaking through the Immortal Emperor stage, one could ascend to the divine realm. The divine realm was also split into countless stages, but no matter how much an ascended god cultivated, they could not surpass the primordial gods, born alongside the cosmos. No matter how strong a cultivator was, they were only borrowing the power of the cosmos. For the primordial gods, the cosmos was their home, while the ascended gods were just lodging temporarily. The difference between them was vast.

Wenren È, the Lord of Demons, was already recognized as the strongest among the demonic sects, but he was only at the sixth level of Mahayana. In the female lead's past life, she had been infinitely stronger than anyone else who appeared in the book. Yet she had actually given up her divine essence to be with Hè Wenzhao. You couldn't blame Wenren È for thinking she had some issues in the head.

He would even suspect Hè Wenzhao had cast some sort of sorcery on her soul to control her, but the sorcerous arts of the cultivation world, no matter how strong, would all shatter the moment Baili Qingmiao became one with her divine essence. They would be like a drop of poison in the ocean, or a wisp of toxic gas in a hurricane. In the face of absolute power, all the sorcery of the world amounted to nothing.

Wenren È, sitting on the second floor of a tea house, sipped the tea Yin Hanjiang had brought him as he pondered.

"This subordinate's powers are weak, and has wasted the Venerable's time." Yin Hanjiang didn't sit, instead standing at Wenren È's back.

"No matter." Wenren È indicated the seat next to him. "Sit."

Yin Hanjiang obediently sat next to Wenren È. Without a command from the Venerable, he wouldn't sit, and if he was commanded, he wouldn't say empty words like "This subordinate doesn't dare." If Wenren È ordered it, even if Yin Hanjiang didn't dare, he had to do it.

"Act natural, hide your aura. Right now, we're just two warriors from Wulin who know some martial arts," Wenren È said, seeing Yin Hanjiang's stiff back.

If Wenren È spoke once, Yin Hanjiang moved once. He relaxed his ramrod-straight back, though his muscles were still tense.

Yin Hanjiang was very rarely face-to-face with Wenren È. He hardly lifted his head, holding his teacup and watching the steam rise off it without drinking.

He was almost like a marionette, with no thoughts of his own. If Wenren È commanded, he acted.

Yin Hanjiang was only at the first level of Body Unity, yet at Xuanyuan Sect he ranked above all but one man. The weakest of the Altar Masters, Altar Master Yuan, was at the ninth level of Body Unity, and the other three were at the top of Void Boundary. Right Protector Shu Yanyan was also at the sixth level of Void Boundary. Of the six in Xuanyuan Sect who served directly under Wenren È, Yin Hanjiang was the weakest.

Sensibly, there's no way he should be the Left Protector. The only reason he had such a high position was because Wenren È trusted him, and he was dedicated to Wenren È.