High Spirits

"Venerable." Yin Hanjiang offered the token to Wenren È with both hands.

Wenren È: ...

He had given this token to Baili Qingmiao in exchange for the Shattered Mountain Meteorite. Both the workings of karma and Wenren È's own character would not allow him to simply take it back. He had felt a bit nervous when Baili Qingmiao first took it out, but if she actually used it, then he would've stepped in.

If he escorted the two out of the Hellfire Pavilion, they would part ways outside, and all his work would've been for nothing.

This was also the first time Yin Hanjiang had taken initiative without Wenren È's orders. Just seeing his troubled expression, he had rushed in, still doing his best to ease Wenren È's job for him.

After he put on the mask, he seemed to become a completely different person. Forget Baili Qingmiao and Zhongli Qian, even Wenren È himself hardly recognized him. No wonder why neither the characters nor the readers had figured out, right up until Baili Qingmiao had seen the mask in his bag, that the Ghost Mask was actually the faithful and deferent Yin Hanjiang.

Speaking of that, Wenren È guessed that Yin Hanjiang had purposefully let Baili Qingmiao see that mask. He had probably wanted her to fall into despair and give up on survival. Unfortunately, it hadn't worked.

"This Venerable cannot take back a token he has given out," Wenren È said. "You can keep it. I'll just give her a messaging talisman in the future."

A faint smile appeared on Yin Hanjiang's face. He replaced the token securely near his heart. Wenren È felt like if he didn't stop him, Yin Hanjiang would try to shove it into his own chest.

It was just a little token that he had made out of the leftover material the Seven Killing Halberd was made from. It wasn't actually good for much. Its only use was that if someone sent their own spiritual energy into it, Wenren È would be able to sense it.

Oh well. If Yin Hanjiang liked it, he could have it.

Seeing Yin Hanjiang act so meek, Wenren È was puzzled. When he completed the Army Crushing Sword, Yin Hanjiang should've already cleared his psychological blocks and stopped restricting himself. How come he seemed to have regressed?

Was it because of the ghost mask?

"Let me see the mask." Wenren È held out a hand.

Yin Hanjiang didn't offer it, instead clutching it tighter in his hand. Wenren È reached out and casually grabbed it, but felt some resistance. Only when he yanked harder, the second time, did Yin Hanjiang release it.

He examined it closely, but found it to be an ordinary mask from the mortal world, made from ordinary materials. Yin Hanjiang might've picked it up on a whim from a shop in the little border town. It shouldn't have any ability to influence a person's mind. Why wasn't Yin Hanjiang willing to let him have it?

Wenren È stuck it on his own face. Through it, he saw a faint tinge of red color Yin Hanjiang's face, as he showed an expression Wenren È had never seen before. He quickly took it off, but saw that Yin Hanjiang's expression had returned to normal, looking as calm and unperturbed as always.

Wenren È wondered if he was seeing things. He turned the mask back and forth in his hand, but couldn't discover a trick to it.

"Give me your hand," he ordered.

Yin Hanjiang extended his hand to Wenren È. Wenren È felt his pulse, then sent his own spiritual energy into Yin Hanjiang's body. His meridians were unobstructed and there was no problem with his cultivation. He showed no signs of qi deviation.