The Great Dao is Emotionless

Before Baili Qingmiao, the fastest to achieve Core Formation in Shangqing Sect had been Hè Wenzhao, who after reaching Foundation Establishment at eighteen, formed a golden core in a mere three years. Cultivation was the way of stealing from heaven, more difficult the further you advanced. Qi Gathering and Qi Refinement were simple enough, and people of Wulin with good aptitudes could accomplish them, but Foundation Establishment was the threshold to the cultivation world, and it was a high threshold which blocked countless people aspiring to seek the Dao, who could never advance a single step further.

And you couldn't fly all the way to the top just by reaching Foundation Establishment.

There were many people who stalled at Foundation Establishment for fifty or a hundred years, unable to form a golden core until their spiritual energy ran out and their lifespans were up. Qi Gathering was absorbing the energy of the cosmos into one's body, Qi Refinement was refining it for one's own use, and Foundation Establishment was using the qi of the cosmos to force out acquired impurities in the human body, gaining a primordial body. The golden core was formed out of spiritual essence within the dantian. For the first time, one's spiritual awareness could see within one's own body, and the Violet Palace first appeared within the dantian. The inside of one's body would form its own contained cosmos, and this would be a person's first step toward transforming their body into an immortal's.

Hè Wenzhao taking three years was already exceptional, but as for Baili Qingmiao, she had established her foundation when she'd just turned eighteen, and before the year was out, before her master even had time to teach the core formation methods to her, she had inexplicably formed a core.

Elder Qingyue checked Baili Qingmiao over at the administration hall and confirmed that her qi was pure and orderly and she had cultivated perfectly by Shangqing Sect's methods, somehow comprehending the core formation methods by her own ability.

This kind of gift was unprecedented in Shangqing Sect.

Elder Qingyue nodded with approval and smiled slightly. After offering incense to the sect founder, he rang the sect's Moon Pool Bell.

The Moon Pool Bell was one of Shangqing Sect's three great immortal artifacts, supporting the wards around their mountain for years. If it was rung, anyone in the sect could hear it unless they were on the brink of death. Ordinarily, forming a golden core wouldn't be worth the administration hall elder announcing it to the entire sect. Even Hè Wenzhao's three years hadn't been worth such treatment. Baili Qingmiao's situation was truly unique, and after deep consideration, Elder Qingyue decided to ring the bell.

When it sounded, Hè Wenzhao who was in bed with Shu Yanyan also heard.

After three rings, Elder Qingyue's voice was transmitted to each person's ears. "Baili Qingmiao of Rising Clouds Peak, under Elder Qingrong, has formed her golden core in one year."

Hè Wenzhao froze, dumbfounded.

Shu Yanyan also heard the ringing of the bell, but she wasn't a disciple of Shangqing Sect and couldn't hear Elder Qingyue's transmission. She acted as if she hadn't noticed anything and wrapped her arms around Hè Wenzhao's neck, saying, "Dear Hè, don't be cruel, hurry..."

Impeccable acting skills, worthy of the Xuanyuan Sect's Right Protector!

But Hè Wenzhao wasn't in the mood and hurriedly got up, using a purification spell to rid his body of any smells. Shu Yanyan turned over, her eyes hazy. "My dear?"

"I just remembered urgent business I must return to the sect for," Hè Wenzhao said coldly. "I might not be able to see you for the next few days. Be good and wait for me."

Then he turned around and left. Shu Yanyan sprawled over the bed, propping her chin on her elbow. "Once they have their clothes on they'll act like they don't know you. No-good swine, pah!"