Seclusion

"Miss Baili," Zhongli Qian said gently to Baili Qingmiao, "No matter what you feel now, I won't obstruct you. Whether it's joy or grief, I'll bear it with you."

Zhongli Qian was prepared for the depths of heartbreak, but after a moment, his heart was still calm. He looked questioningly at Baili Qingmiao.

"It's strange..." Baili Qingmiao said, hand over her heart. "I should be sad, so why don't I feel anything? I've long since had suspicions about Miss Shu, and even decided me and shixiong should go our own ways after that. Just, when I saw him injured in the aftermath of the Great Sect War, I forgot about everything else. When shixiong married Liu-shijie, I wanted to let go again, but right now I feel like if I returned to the sect and saw him, I'd fall back into my old habits."

"That's indeed pretty odd," Shu Yanyan said. She withdrew her hand, the tenderness vanishing from her face as she returned to being the uncaring Demonic Sect Protector.

"Did the Venerable have orders for his subordinate?" Shu Yanyan said, looking at Wenren È.

"Nothing anymore." Wenren È gave Shu Yanyan a look that said "you can scram now".

He'd just called over Shu Yanyan in order to let Baili Qingmiao know of Hè Wenzhao's actions. That goal was accomplished, so he didn't need her here.

Shu Yanyan, who had dropped everything to rush over: ...

Even if she was annoyed, she had to hide it in front of the Lord of Demons. She might as well go look for a bone.

"You also want to break free?" Zhongli Qian asked Baili Qingmiao.

"Of course. I... don't want to become a person I would despise. But how can I make sure I don't make a mistake again?" Baili Qingmiao said, at a loss.

She wasn't stupid, just ruled by her emotions. Everyone could understand things logically, but few people could carry it out.

"Letting go is difficult, not something you can do overnight," said Zhongli Qian. "I'm willing to help you along the way. In return, I hope Miss Baili will help me find a new direction."

No one was forcing Baili Qingmiao to let go immediately. They were all encouraging her, helping her, giving her time. Gradually, she felt less troubled, and was reminded of something. "I was planning to return to the sect after traveling for ten years, but rethinking it, this was a selfish thought. Young Master Zhongli, I need to return in order to complete an unfinished task. Would you be willing to accompany me, and prevent me from making a mistake again?"

"I also hope Miss Baili can accompany me back to the Zhongli manor. If they see you, the clan elders will be more willing to find a new heir," Zhongli Qian said.

Baili Qingmiao: ?

Why would they be more willing to let go of Zhongli Qian upon seeing her?

Wenren È silently watched their exchange, which was friendly without any hint of deeper feelings. He felt like the next minute, they would swear brotherhood and sisterhood, but there were no romantic intentions there.

But this was still fine. Instead of changing Baili Qingmiao's affections, Wenren È preferred she didn't love anyone, so as to cultivate the Path of Indifference. The Path of Indifference was the best way for her to merge with her divine nature.

"Oh yeah!" Baili Qingmiao slapped her thigh. "Senior Wenren, where's my master? Is she okay...?"

Her right eye was filled with hope. Since Senior Wenren's purpose in all of this was to help her overcome temptation, then the disappearance of her master must've also been part of the plan. Certainly nothing bad had happened to her.