Alkaid Paves the Way

Only now did Wenren È take out the message talismans sent by the four Altar Masters and the Right Protector, and break one at random to listen to.

Shu Yanyan's exaggeratedly panicked voice came out of it. "My god! Venerable, the righteous sects have set up a Spirit Severing Array, and I and Altar Master Qiu have no spiritual energy to use. Oh, I can't go on! I'll just lie here and wait for the Venerable to save us."

Wenren È: ...

Even though he knew it was an act, Yin Hanjiang was still angry. "As one of the Venerable's Protectors, you still asked to be saved by him? Unworthy!"

Wenren È approved of Yin Hanjiang's words. Shu Yanyan had been top-notch at acting to hook a man, but her ability to fake a loss in battle was too poor.

Altar Master Yuan was the opposite. When Wenren È snapped his talisman, his frantic voice came from within. "Venerable, I encountered a large group of righteous cultivators while patrolling the northern mountains, each Deity Transformation or above. Fortunately, two other Altar Masters were there with me, and we led the rest of the sect into combat, but the natural spiritual energy was suddenly severed, and we could only use our own to fight! We can't last for much longer! We must immediately break the Spirit Severing Array. This subordinate begs the Venerable to use the Burning Sky Drum!"

According to these two messages, clearly intended for the righteous cultivators' ears, Wenren È should be heading toward the Spirit Severing Array with the Burning Sky Drum, in order to break it as soon as possible.

Therefore, there would certainly be an ambush on the way to the Spirit Severing Array, with who knew how many high-level cultivators lying in wait.

Pleased, Wenren È said, "Half a year ago, this Venerable dueled a wandering immortal in the Thousand Mile Ice Plains. Even though she was of a higher realm, she offered no improvement to my cultivation. Ordinary fights are no longer able to make me advance in realm. Hopefully, the gathered forces of the righteous sects will not disappoint this Venerable."

He turned into a ray of light and flew at blinding speed toward the Spirit Severing Array.

Yin Hanjiang chased after him on his sword, but was completely unable to keep up with Wenren È.

Previous occasions, Wenren È had slowed down to wait for Yin Hanjiang, but now he didn't hold back. Just by his own light flash, he could surpass the speed of Yin Hanjiang's sword by several dozen times.

Despite having broken through to Void Boundary, despite having awakened to a higher sword will on the Burning Sky Drum, Yin Hanjiang was still as powerless as always to keep up with his Venerable.

When Yin Hanjiang caught up to Wenren È, he saw him trapped in an array by twenty Mahayana and above cultivators.

Seeing this, Yin Hanjiang's eyes blazed in rage, and drawing upon his spiritual essence, he was about to charge into the array and fight side by side with his Venerable.

But just at that moment, he heard a cold and harsh yell. "Stay back!"

Yin Hanjiang froze instantly. Standing outside the array, he saw Wenren È turn and smile with satisfaction. "This Venerable never expected that the righteous sects would've brought out their highest talents in order to deal with me. This Venerable is very pleased. Protector Yin, don't ruin this Venerable's fun."

Yin Hanjiang understood Wenren È. He had followed him for many years, watching his every action and expression. He could see that the Venerable really was surprised, and really was eager.

Wenren È had high expectations for this war. In his personal analysis with Yin Hanjiang, they had figured the righteous sects would send maybe ten Mahayana cultivators, and perhaps some of Shangqing Sect's wandering immortals. Wenren È thought ten was a bit low, as he would have a hard time breaking through his realm unless he was on the brink of death. At the least, there would be ordinary disciples in combat, which might make up for it.