Truth Revealed

Zhongli Qian was afraid if he kept reciting poems, the girl in front of him might swear brotherhood and sisterhood with him. He quickly switched to, "Picking a chrysanthemum under the fence, I look leisurely toward the southern mountains" and some other poetry of the type. Seeing Baili Qingmiao go from spirited to relaxed and carefree, he realized what was going on and had to chuckle at himself.

"What is it, Young Master Zhongli?" Baili Qingmiao said, sensing Zhongli Qian's mood.

"I just thought of something that made me realize I was wrong," Zhongli Qian said with a self-deprecating smile. "I was afraid my emotions would be influenced by you and I would act out of order, so forcibly suppressed those emotions. But it's not that my will was stronger than yours, but that Miss Baili is more considerate than I. When our emotions influence each other, you don't immediately try to change your feelings to suppress mine, but instead go along with me. If we were to struggle against each other, we might both lose control of ourselves and suffer qi deviation."

Baili Qingmiao felt self-conscious and waved her hands. "It's not that. It's just that I feel like I can't be miserable and blaming myself all the time. You're actually doing me a big favor."

"Then let's make a deal," said Zhongli Qian. "Until we get rid of these parasites, if either of us gets overly emotional, the other should help them calm down. Not influencing them with any other emotions, just allowing them to calm down and gain perspective."

"That sounds good!" Baili Qingmiao said, cupping her fists to him. "The rumors don't do you justice. I often heard rumors about the Zhongli clan at Shangqing Sect. I feel ashamed to say that, since most sects seclude themselves from the mortal world, they have some prejudice towards cultivation clans who intermingle with ordinary society, and some even accuse them of only seeking status and prestige. Meeting Young Master Zhongli today, I have understood the meaning of nobility."

"You're overstating," Zhongli Qian said quietly. "It's not easy to live this way. Since I can't hide my feelings from you, I might as well confess that I also want to gallop around on a horse, indulging in wine and doing whatever I please. I wish I didn't have to force myself to save someone I didn't even like for the sake of the Zhongli clan's heritage and reputation."

Zhongli Qian's responsibilities were the source of his strength, but also fetters for him. He didn't even know if it would be better to let go or continue bearing them.

The two wandered in circles throughout the Hellfire Pavilion several times, running into a few ghost cultivators Wenren È had sent to scare them. Wenren È was still holding onto the hope that being in danger would reveal their true feelings and spark something between them.

But as the two became closer together, they treated each other more like siblings, no spark of romance between them. Instead, Zhongli Qian became more vigilant.

After they repelled another wave of ghost cultivators, Zhongli Qian stood in place, bamboo scroll in hand, and looked up to the stars in the sky. Venus shone bright, heralding the coming of dawn.

He slapped the scroll against the palm of his hand. "I get it now."

"Get what?" Baili Qingmiao said, cocking her head.

Zhongli Qian put away the scroll and said into the distance, "Sir Wenren, I have still not developed any feelings for Miss Baili. There's no point in dragging this out any further. Why don't you reveal yourself to us?"

Wenren È stared blankly. It wouldn't be hard for Zhongli Qian to guess that everything was part of his plan, but how did he realize that he intended for Zhongli Qian and Baili Qingmiao to fall in love?

He appeared before the two with Yin Hanjiang, saying coldly, "How did you figure out?"

"Ah! Senior Wenren, I'm so glad you're okay!" Baili Qingmiao said, her face lighting up with joy. "I thought something had happened at Xuanyuan Sect and the man in the mask harmed you!"