The Nature of Infatuation

He was the one least like himself... Wenren È was speechless for a moment. He really wanted to see what the inner demons in Yin Hanjiang's eyes were like, or, in other words, what Wenren È was like in Yin Hanjiang's mind.

Right now, Wenren È had a body of chaos energy, so his clothes were transformed from it. He didn't use the divine blood. Since Yin Hanjiang was in the spring, if he went in there without any clothes, it wouldn't be too proper.

Wenren È entered the spring without raising a single splash, as if he had melted into the water.

Keeping a handspan of distance between their shoulders, he sat side by side with Yin Hanjiang, turning his head to watch him closely.

He had never seen Yin Hanjiang like this. Each action and word seemed to be the opposite of what he would've originally done, yet oddly, he didn't clash with the past Yin Hanjiang at all.

Previously, whenever Wenren È looked directly at Yin Hanjiang, Yin Hanjiang would always avoid his sight, either turning his head or lowering it. He very rarely shared a direct gaze with him.

Now, however, Yin Hanjiang watched him straight-on, some murderous intent lingering in his eyes.

He had dealt with many Message Carriers today. They ought to be subordinate to Xuanyuan Sect, yet they were helping outsiders, colluding with righteous sects and cultivation clans along with Altar Master Yuan. After interrogating many of them, Yin Hanjiang had found out there were plenty of lowlifes among the sects and cultivation clans, doing evil deeds in secret and blaming them all on Xuanyuan Sect with the Message Carriers and Altar Master Yuan's help.

The Venerable rarely minded such small matters, delegating everyday tasks to the Altar Masters. Miao, Ruan, Qiu Congxue, and Shi Congxin all had odd ways of thinking and didn't want to bother with such things, so left them all to the jolly old Altar Master Yuan. Altar Master Yuan had managed to smear Wenren È a lot.

Such things as abducting virgins to harvest their essence, slaughtering villages to take their souls, snatching months-old infants to refine magic items, killing six to nine months pregnant women for their placentas, all sorts of matters that felt dirty just to hear about, Yin Hanjiang had memorized one by one, recording the names of the wandering cultivators, righteous sect members, and clan members who had done them. After killing a bunch of Message Carriers to vent his rage, he gave their leader to Altar Master Miao.

Altar Master Miao gleefully dragged him away, not even letting his soul go, saying that he was going to raise a king gu that could control a wandering immortal, specifically to deal with Qiu Congxue.

After he had killed so many, the Army Crushing Spike had drunk its fill of blood and kept humming. Yin Hanjiang had forcibly returned it to within his body, but he couldn't fully hide the glee in his eyes.

Some of the Wenren È's around him praised him, while others disapproved, the clamor grating on his nerves. After returning to Xuanyuan Sect, he didn't want to enter his Venerable's room while covered with blood, so first came to the spring to wash. Seeing one of the inner demons watch him quietly, standing out among the crowd, he wanted its company.

He was a bit out of control after killing and needed to cool his head. He wanted to see his Venerable, but didn't want to let his inner demons control him. He might as well pick the one least like him, to reminisce.

"In what way am I not like Wenren È?" Wenren È asked. He was really curious what the him Yin Hanjiang was seeing looked like.

Yin Hanjiang's gaze was fierce as he shot him a glance, as if he didn't want to chat with an inner demon.

Wenren È's question still brought back memories for Yin Hanjiang, though. He lowered his eyelids, his long lashes faintly trembling.

Scooping up a handful of water, he splashed it across his face. A droplet slid down the corner of his eye. It could've been a teardrop or the spring water.