Seems I Was Late

Baili Qingmiao didn't notice that Yin Hanjiang had cut several gashes into her dress. She thought back on her memories of the past year, feeling like she had been controlled. Besides thinking that if her shixiong wanted to kill her, she might as well die, there had been no other thoughts in her head. She'd lost all will to live, her heart controlled by Hè Wenzhao. Occasionally another desire would surface within her, but quickly be crushed by the desire for death.

"No," she said decisively. "A normal cultivator wouldn't wish for themselves to go mad. Only when something is already wrong with them and their rationality is already destabilized by inner demons, so that only desire remains in their mind, can inner demons take advantage of their weakness."

Yin Hanjiang moved his gaze very slowly from the Army Crushing Spike to Baili Qingmiao. He laughed silently. "You're right. I'm the one who let it happen."

"Huh? You?" Baili Qingmiao blinked innocently.

Yin Hanjiang stood up slowly. "I'm not sure which is true. Since I can't tell, I might as well not worry about it."

"Worry—worry about what?" Baili Qingmiao faintly felt that something was wrong. She wanted to escape, but the moment she tried to use her spiritual essence, she felt a sharp pain in her dantian and was powerless to do so.

She could only slowly shrink to the other side of the bed, huddling in her blanket, looking pitifully weak and powerless.

The smile on Yin Hanjiang's face hadn't vanished. "Now that I think about it, there's no need for me to figure out what's true and what's false. Because one thing doesn't change—the fact that my Venerable is already..."

He couldn't continue, unwilling to say it.

"Senior Wenren was trying to save me. It's all my fault..." Baili Qingmiao began to sob, unable to stop her tears from flowing upon hearing his words.

"In that case, there are only two things I need to do. The first is to take vengeance, and the second is to send something he might like down to accompany him." Yin Hanjiang's gaze landed on Baili Qingmiao. "Once I send it to him, the Venerable can decide whether or not he likes it. What do you think?"

As he spoke, he gradually raised the Army Crushing Spike. The cold light reflecting off the steel hurt Baili Qingmiao's eyes.

"I don't think it's a good idea," said a voice from the doorway.

Yin Hanjiang remained in his stance of holding the weapon in the air, turning his head to see Wenren È standing at the doorway, with white hair and a blindfold, smiling slightly at him. He knew it was Zhongli Qian, but he couldn't recognize him.

A head poked out from behind Zhongli Qian's back, revealing itself to be Su Huai. He glanced at Yin Hanjiang's face and said, "Sect Leader Yin, your eyes are injured, so I asked Mister Zhongli to look at your eyes."

"I see." Yin Hanjiang rubbed the now-dried blood at the corners of his eyes. "It's no problem," he said lightly. "It'll heal soon."

"At least let me wipe the blood," Zhongli Qian said calmly. He took out a handkerchief and, seeming to not notice that Baili Qingmiao had woken, sat at the bedside. With Su Huai's pointers, he gently wiped away the dried blood, applying medicine at the same time.

When he was about to bandage them, Yin Hanjiang stopped him. "If my eyes are covered, I won't be able to see him."

Zhongli Qian didn't ask who "he" was, just changed the subject. "Xuanyuan Sect's historical records are long, so I still need a few more days to take my position at the Main Hall. Su Huai is a clever child, and he enjoys the atmosphere of Xuanyuan Sect, so I thought of having him help out there. I hope Sect Leader Yin will approve."